Web designer using a premade theme/template?

Susie

Depends on the theme...

If it was something of high quality, maybe. Or if it was a theme you could modify almost to the point where the original theme wasn't recognizable, saving you time, that might be a good time to use it. If you specialize primarily in coding, it may not be as big of a deal, but if you do a lot of high quality design work it may be best to make sure the site design is unique.

Personally... I wouldn't, not for a personal portfolio site. Too much risk involved -- I'd much rather have something unique than risk using the same theme as someone else and having potential visitors question my design/coding skills.

Personally... I wouldn't, not for a personal portfolio site. Too much risk involved -- I'd much rather have something unique than risk using the same theme as someone else and having potential visitors question my design/coding skills.

Yeah, this is the way I'm leaning, too. I've found a WP theme that I really love and it would work so well for my site, but, as you mentioned, I don't want anyone to question my abilities because I'm using a premade theme. Maybe I can just find a way to incorporate what I love about the theme and go that route...

ROFL - Well as said ideally no.

But that said there is the ls saying, I think we have a version in English, but the German's say "The Cobler's children go bare foot".

That is to say that the Cobler/shoemaker is so busy making shoes for customers, he has no time to make shoes for his own family. When I was freelance that was how it was. Now that I no longer do web design... I am still using the temporary template I took for WP. now I am to busy programming or spending time off the computer at home.

Ideally it is not good, but realistically... most designers will recognize the truth... customers? Hard to say.