Some advice on blogging?

akurtula

Hi

I was thinking of starting a web design tutorial blog. The reason I want to start blogging is more to push myself in learning/discovering/practicing new things. The idea that "pretending" to teach others I will learn more myself.

Taking that into consideration I would really appreciate your opinion on:

1) would it be ok if I hosted this blog in a domain with my name (aurelkurtula.co.uk) or would I need to think of a new name.

2) can you give me any tips on how to come up with post topic ideas? - I thought of searching around for "web tutorials for beginners" and just "steal" the titles and then writte my own tutorials, so is there any rules on how to comeup with ideas

thanks

1) Depends on what you are going for. If it's intended to be a personal blog, it's probably fine to host it on your aurelkurtula domain. If it's intended to be more general, and only about web design tutorials (and that there's the potential for having guest bloggers if it gets popular) a different domain not associated with your name may make more sense.

2) I think this is the one that a lot of people struggle with. I wouldn't encourage you to steal other people's titles, but finding interesting topics that others have written about and writing something about the same topic is fine assuming you are plagiarizing. I would keep a notebook (something physical or just a digital list on your computer) of ideas for topics, and add to the list whenever an idea hits you. You can then refer back to that list if you have trouble coming up with ideas.

the stealing thing, I didn't express myself well, I meant the same thing you mean. Tackling the same topics as others do, put of course in my own way

The domain name, I am having trouble coming up with names that is why I thought of using my name.

Is there any tips/tricks on how to come up with a name?

Is there any tips/tricks on how to come up with a name?

Not really... it's the same process as coming up with a company name. I would start by defining the sort of content/topics you plan to offer and the skill level required for most of the tutorials. Then think of descriptive words that you want people to think of when they read the blog (ex: informational, simple, experienced, etc.) Then perhaps are there any animals/objects that you could use to theme the site that might provide inspiration (for example, the frog that KillerSites uses, or my falcon, or a "space" or "western" theme, etc). Also consider what you think are some of the top blogs out there doing the same thing you want to do, partially to draw inspiration from how they came up with their name, and also since you don't want a name that is close enough to an existing blog that it might confuse people.

I'm sure you can find articles online with advice regarding how to name a company, and that advice should be pretty similar to what you'd need to do to come up with a name for a blog.

I like that - I will have to really think about this

But just out ok interest, is there supposed to be any meaning, logical explanation, to the use of the frog for killersites? Or is it used to create the visual theme (and has nothing to do with web design)

is there supposed to be any meaning, logical explanation, to the use of the frog for killersites?

You'd have to ask Stefan for a specific explanation, since I wasn't involved in any way with the KillerSites logo. However, though I am not sure exactly what kind of frog it is, I believe it would come from the rainforests in South America, and most likely is a kind of frog that secretes poison in its skin to discourage predators (hence "killer" sites). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_dart_frog

Hi,

I would recommend coming up with a unique name for your blog. Using your own name is for a personal blog. As Ben has pointed out already, when it gets popular it will be easier to attract guest bloggers. Also, consider it's saleability, if you use your own name, it will be hard to sell. If you have a unique name associated with web design then you will be able to put a much higher value on it. If that is something you would consider. Selling in the future that is.

Just as a note: I sold a blog about blogging for $12,000 about 4 months ago. So it is worth considering. ( I am a blogger, but useless with HTML,CSS,PHP. Hence the reason for me being here.)

Secondly. A good Blog is one that creates it's own original content. Not nicking it from others. Borrow ideas, no problem. Do not steal, it is plagiarism, and you will get caught.

Good Luck

Pete

• 1 month later...

Good idea..I would like to follow your blog..I think you have to start your blog from basic techniques in web technologies because people do not get basic tutorial guide so it becomes uneasy for them..Then you can increase difficulty level...

Regards,

Sophia smith

Edited by Andrea
Spam Link Deleted - Please Don't!