JavaScript and accessibility tested

LSW

The folks at "A List Apart" have published a test they did to see how JavaScript really interacts with assistive technology.

A few points:

• Vanilla - by this they mean the plain browser without any add on assistive Technology
  • JAWS is the most widely spread screen reader, followed I think by Connect Outloud
  • Note how many No you will find in the first test. This is why I say JS is to much a risk for a web site when other languages can do things better.

I was surprised by how much support is there for forms, Yes falling not to far from No support. However many of those No's are very important indeed.
  • Keep in mind these are Browser-based screen readers. It is a software package that sits on a standard browser piggyback. This way much of what the browser does understand from the JS, it feeds the screen reader the finished product. Some screen readers, especially some older models are text based and do not support JS at all.
  • Worth noting is that Firefox is included with three screen readers. 1 year ago screen readers only worked with IE, so Firefox is putting the pressure on IE in this market as well.

Results for JavaScript - Part 1: Navigating links

Results for JavaScript - Part 2: Navigating forms

I run through all my site designs right now with NVDA, which is an opensource screenreader. I've not done enough studying on the topic yet, but I figure if I can turn off my monitor and navigate my site, I'm doign better than 99% of designers.

Do you have an advice on the relevance of NVDA?

Only keep in mind that JAWS is the leader for a reason so this one may do things differently than most blind users do, also that when all is said and done you will not use the tool as a blind person really would, so just because it works well for you does not mean it will for them.

Otherwise I do not know the program, but I have a demo version of JAWS and they are good to give you an idea of what it is like and what the issues are.