Site Review, Please.

Guest jgurbisz

Guest jgurbisz

First off thank you for your time!

I have been maintaining a website for the past three years, and really enjoy it. However, I have been using a WYSIWYG editor up until recently.

Over the Christmas holiday's I decided to crack down and learn HTML and CSS, because I wanted to redesign my site from the ground up by hand coding.

My site resides at http://www.vacantnewjersey.com

Being this is my first website I have hand coded, I was just wondering, what your comments are? What can be improved, what's good, what's bad?

Overall the majority of my site validates 100% at the W3C validation website, there are some pages that don't validate but it is mostly because of using the "id=___" more than once one the same page, and external HTML I've copied from sites such as YouTube, Myspace, ect.

Thanks for any input!

Regards--- Justin.

Nice looking site.

You should use class instead of id, W3C explains that in the validation page. ID is only to be used once on a page for elements that are not repeated, eg header div, content div, footer div. Where elements are repeated on a page use CLASS.

You are using tables in your layout that are not presenting tabular data and your layout does not use divs. For example, your navigation should be presented using a containing div and ul, li, which you use further down the page to present a list of what's new. If you want to explore HTML and CSS further you will need to understand how to use CSS divisions for layout. Otherwise good job and the validation errors are minimal and easily remedied.