Web Hosting - quick check up?

danhodge

Im a little paranoid about webhosting, as i don't want to suggest a webhost that doesn't include something i need.

3ix.co.uk is the site i was going to use, and this is the stuff it claims to give you on the cheapest deal:

Web Hosting - Excite Plan - 40,000mb (40GB) Space

100gb Bandwidth

US$1 | UK£0.70

This seems too good to be true, surely?

Thanks a lot,

Danny

I used them for a while AND LEFT. My account was hacked several times (I had a very secure password), it was never their fault, they claimed. I still have a client with them - I'd recommended them BEFORE they went sour, and his site at one point was ridiculously slow - I had to contact their support several times before someone quit blaming the coding or my internet connection and realized there were problems with their server.

If it's all you can afford and occasional issues aren't critical, give them a try - you can always move later. But if you don't want any hassles, spend a couple bucks more. I'm now using iPage, and have had no issues, other folks here recommend --- what's the one with the dragon that Eric and others are using???? And, I think Stef has hosting space available as well.

I'm personally using HostGator, and have been extremely happy with them. I've had maybe one short instance of downtime in the 5+ years I have used their services, and their customer support is fast and helpful.

I haven't used 3IX, but after looking at their website, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable about using their services. If there are issues with the hosting, I wouldn't be confident I could get any support for $1 a month.

I have suggested them all, do you tend to use/suggest the same webhosts for each job, or do you swap around for certain clients?

Since I'm pretty happy with HostGator hosting, I don't see a need to change which host I recommend. However, a lot of times I work with redesigns of preexisting sites, so I may be forced to use whatever hosting they client already has set up. I don't usually suggest switching hosts unless there are significant issues. As a general rule, though, I discourage users from using GoDaddy since I have had a lot of bad experiences with them in the past. I've had repeated issues when hosting CMS based sites (Wordpress/CMSMadeSimple/Concrete5) since they run terribly slowly on their shared hosting plans.

I have suggested them all, do you tend to use/suggest the same webhosts for each job, or do you swap around for certain clients?

You don't have to use the same host but if you are going to be the go-to-guy for all their needs then it would be a good idea to have them use the same web host provider allowing you to be familiar and proficient with one control panel format because not all hosting companies lay out the panel that same way and some may have more or less features.

Ideally, you can get rent one of their dedicated servers where you can manage all the hosting for each of your clients. That way you reap the benefits of having all your clients' sites under one roof plus you keep a little profit for yourself. However, to make it worth your while you will probably need 6-12 hosted sites depending what you would charge for hosting. Typcially, depending on the size of each site you host, you could host about 30-60 clients.

I'm glad I went with Hostgator the servers might be in the states while I'm in the UK but I only pay £15 a month for a reseller plan which gives me fantastic freedom to do what I want and my sites load pretty quick even compared to some eu servers

• 4 months later...