What to choose from asp.net, php and ruby on rails

Guest intothewild

Guest intothewild

I am a novice in web development, this is my first assignment.

I wish to develop a dynamic website that will display contents based on user, but its nothing like a forum. Its more like a portal where a guest user will have only limited option and an authorized user will have more. I might be beating around the bust but i thought its important to put my case to get valuable suggestions.

Anyway, so I started scouring the internet for what technology I shall use for the development of my website and I came across asp.net, php and ruby on rails. asp.net and ruby on rails both provide MVC patterns which I think will be very useful for the kind of site that I intend to develop. I am not very sure if php has any such option. There are a lot of posts and forums who advocate one over another, for ex. asp.net vs php and asp.net MVC vs ruby on rails MVC.

I have no experience in any of the technologies mentioned here, but the company i work for uses .net for almost all of its purposes.

I also wish to know what are the criteria based on which one should pick a platform?

Now I am split between choosing one of these, not to mention that I am doing my own POC which will help me get a hold of all the technologies. I thought it would be a good option to know from the gurus of web development.

Thanks.

PHP is probably your best bet over ASP.NET. Don't be confused with ASP.NET with ASP classic. Coding is quite different between the two.

As for which one is better over the other, I really can't argue a point other than than the fact that PHP has a greater share of the market than ASP.

Edited by Eddie

• 4 months later...

I am a novice in web development, this is my first assignment.

I wish to develop a dynamic website that will display contents based on user, but its nothing like a forum. Its more like a portal where a guest user will have only limited option and an authorized user will have more. I might be beating around the bust but i thought its important to put my case to get valuable suggestions.

Anyway, so I started scouring the internet for what technology I shall use for the development of my website and I came across asp.net, php and ruby on rails. asp.net and ruby on rails both provide MVC patterns which I think will be very useful for the kind of site that I intend to develop. I am not very sure if php has any such option. There are a lot of posts and forums who advocate one over another, for ex. asp.net vs php and asp.net MVC vs ruby on rails MVC.

I have no experience in any of the technologies mentioned here, but the company i work for uses .net for almost all of its purposes.

I also wish to know what are the criteria based on which one should pick a platform?

Now I am split between choosing one of these, not to mention that I am doing my own POC which will help me get a hold of all the technologies. I thought it would be a good option to know from the gurus of web development.

Thanks.

i think php will make your work easier

• 3 weeks later...