How to 301 Redirect a HTML page?!

jpf566

Ok I’ve been doing web design for quite some time but haven’t ever needed to do 301 redirect a site before…I have someone who took over a company and also changed the company name so the entire website and domain name has changed. I need to 301 redirect the old site to the new. I know I could just throw an ASP or PHP 301 redirect BUT the problem is that the files are HTML. Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose if I changed all the file names to .ASPX and then redirected them to the new site? All the new .ASPX pages would be seen as new (or worse duplicate) content form google! How in the world am I supposed to 301 redirect html pages? Thanks for any help guys Seriously.

If you are running on a Linux server, you can do a 301 redirect using a .htaccess file. If you are running on a Windows server, I am less familiar with the process... I know it's possible, but it may be something you have to contact your host about and get their help to set up. I believe it is done through IIS, which if you are on a shared hosting setup, you may or may not have access to. http://www.submitawebsite.com/blog/2009/07/301-redirect-for-windows-server.html

My host told me that there is no way I can do anything on there end other than changing the files to .asp and adding a .asp redirect (which defeats the purpose of a 301 since the search engines will see the .asp file extension as different content) My domain is hosted with a different company (godaddy) and they said i should just do a permanent redirect through Godaddy but I've heard that isnt an actually way to do a 301. Im so confused. Maybe I'll just do rel=canonical

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

301 redirect is the most efficient and Search Engine Friendly method for webpage redirection. It's must say that implement of 301 redirect means it should preserve your search engine rankings for that particular page. 301 redirct is impemented through 301 redirect.When a visitor/spider requests a web page, your web server checks for a .htaccess file. The .htaccess file contains specific instructions for certain requests, including security, redirection issues and how to handle certain errors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My host told me that there is no way I can do anything on there end other than changing the files to .asp and adding a .asp redirect (which defeats the purpose of a 301 since the search engines will see the .asp file extension as different content) My domain is hosted with a different company (godaddy) and they said i should just do a permanent redirect through Godaddy but I've heard that isnt an actually way to do a 301. Im so confused. Maybe I'll just do rel=canonical

I have my website hosted by Godaddy as well and i m using .htaccess file to do 301 redirects and it works just fine

Ummm.. good luck in IIS I have to add code to the page to get a clean 404 or 301. M$ seem to think the protocols are open to interpretation. If it's an .htm page and you don't have access to the asp parsing engine then there is little you can do. If you had access to the parser you could configure the server to parse .htm as .asp and add the code at the page level. Otherwise with newer IIS you basically send bad header responses to SE's. For instance if you set up a default 404 it will always return 200 code which is exactly opposite of the intent of the page.

Edited by Andrea
Link Deleted - No SPAM, please

• 2 months later...

doing web design for quite some time, but when you need to do a 301 redirect page for more ... I need someone who took over the company and also changed the company name to the whole site and the domain name has been changed. I need to 301 redirect the old to the new site. I know I could just throw the ASP or PHP 301 redirect, but the problem is that the files are in HTML. Would not that defeat, if I changed all the file names.