Layers in CS5 (newbie question)

David104

I design something in CS5 that looks just right until I preview it in a browser, it moves! I'm really new to layers and I thought I might have it but I WAS WRONG!!! I thought it was a problem in CSS with my choice of Positioning but I tried all 4 and nothing worked. I've attached what my browser shows in hopes it will let you see what I'm seeing.

post-35154-015105400 1312826808_thumb.jpg

Layers are simply absolutely positioned divs. This terminology is something that Adobe sortof invented, and (at least in my opinion) is a bit of a nightmare to use/edit, especially if you don't want to use Dreamweaver. If at all possible, avoid using layers.

I think you'll have to provide your HTML/CSS code, or a link to your website for us to be able to help you with this. My advice would be to use regular positioned elements, and stay away from layers.

That's kind of what I thought I might hear. You're not the first person to tell to stay away from Layers but I had to try them for myself. I don't have a website yet, it's just being built on my laptop since last Friday. I'll not bother with the code right now as I going to find anther way to accomplish what I'm after.

What I'm trying to accomplish is putting type "in" the Breaking News box which then will link to another page. Any ideas for me? I really don't know what my choices are or what is the best way to do it. My first thought was to put a table in the box that CSS could control and that wouldn't move.

I'm disabled now (stroke) and just do this for friends and fun so I might have the oddest problems but at least I'm not under a time constraint any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Use the news image as a background image for a div - then create a div within that one with proper padding/margins for positioning of the content.

That's kind of what I thought I might hear. You're not the first person to tell to stay away from Layers but I had to try them for myself. I don't have a website yet, it's just being built on my laptop since last Friday. I'll not bother with the code right now as I going to find anther way to accomplish what I'm after.

What I'm trying to accomplish is putting type "in" the Breaking News box which then will link to another page. Any ideas for me? I really don't know what my choices are or what is the best way to do it. My first thought was to put a table in the box that CSS could control and that wouldn't move.

I'm disabled now (stroke) and just do this for friends and fun so I might have the oddest problems but at least I'm not under a time constraint any more.