Can you survive without coding?

DanExcel

Can you survive in the wild as a web designer with the basic skill sets; XHTML, HTML5, CSS3, basic Javascript, WordPress theming, Photoshop and Illustrator? I am starting to think this is simply not enough since so many offer the same and sometimes more. What is your take on it.

Sure. Who said that you have to know everything to provide quality custom websites? Basically, you take your skills and use them to the best of your ability. Anything you lack you can teach yourself along the way.

However, some developers are stronger in some areas of coding than others. For instant, you might be very strong in HTML and CSS but you only have some PHP skills. In some cases you can figure things out with PHP but there are times you are in the dark about how to make it work for a site. They way to handle that is to hire someone specifically for PHP to help you produce the results you are looking for.

Can you learn everything and be proficient in all of them? Sure but those types of developers are rare and might even be called gifted because they can retain nearly all the information they have learned. I for one do not fall in that category and so that is why I work with a group of 5 other contract coders to provide top of the line ecommerce stores.

If you are doing big projects it helps to have others under you or else you will be spending many long hours and in the end might not achieve financial reward you were hoping for.

That sounds about right, Sometimes I dread having to write php. Finding a reliable backend coder for hire would make life much easier I suppose.

I believe everyone should learn at least basic PHP ... it is so bread-&-butter in today's web design. That said, you don't need to become an expert, just know your way around to do basic things like process a form, send email etc.

If you want to go out there and compete with HTML, CSS skills, you should be very strong in design and have good knowledge of usability. That said, knowing PHP will open up many more possibilities for work.

Stefan

Can you survive in the wild as a web designer with the basic skill sets; XHTML, HTML5, CSS3, basic Javascript, WordPress theming, Photoshop and Illustrator?

No

Living in Alaska, I am reasonably sure that those will not help me against bears or catching fish or protect me from weather.

It could be useful for fending off tourists, mumble code under your breath and they will leave you alone.

tongue.gif

[Please note this reply in the manner it was meant. It has been my theme of late that we are useful in the current modern world, but let some form of disaster hit and we are worthless once technology fails. This is meant jokingly and not rudely]

It could be useful for fending off tourists, mumble code under your breath and they will leave you alone.

Yes. I can tell you that from first hand knowledge.

In fact, when I wanted to dump a girlfriend, I found speaking about design patterns in Java was an effective tool to bore her away.

;)

Stefan

No

Living in Alaska, I am reasonably sure that those will not help me against bears or catching fish or protect me from weather.

tongue.gif

[Please note this reply in the manner it was meant. It has been my theme of late that we are useful in the current modern world, but let some form of disaster hit and we are worthless once technology fails. This is meant jokingly and not rudely]

lol...