My layout is wrong in IE... any idea why?

blowfly123

I'm working on a site design and I want these four boxes for links to speecial content to appear in little divs of their own so that I can tie them to the CMS in a way that gives the final user total flexibility. They are laying out nicely in firefox and safari on both PC and Mac. But, of course, I.E. is messing up. Anything blatantly obvious about why?

Here's the site: http://tinyurl.com/ce2enj

stylesheet: http://tinyurl.com/befghb

It's the four crumpled-paper boxes that are appearing in the wrong place in IE. They should be in the middle more of less in two rows of two.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Eric. I don't know why I overcomplicated it.

two things:

1) Why did you choose float: right instead of left? Just curious.

2) this is dumb but could you edit out the url in the code, since it has my name in it and I don't want google to index this

Sometimes I really don't know the reasons, I just know what works and what doesn't. But, you can only use left/right with position relative/absolute, not a float. A float can only use margins and padding. Using relative positioning is just over complicating things. For the most part, just us margins and padding to move things around.

No problem, I'll edit the code, I asked the same thing of Thelma recently. :)

Edit - you may also need to clear the floats. Here is how.

Edited by Eric

Still tweaking it but I just discovered another IE problem (grrrr ie!!!!!)

The pop-out rollover menus don't line up next to their parent. The first one does but then the second one is a little too low and the final two (community partners and publications) are waaaay too low. Obviously some padding or something is accumulating in a weird way with each li or ul or something. Any idea what the fix is? :D

Still tweaking it but I just discovered another IE problem (grrrr ie!!!!!)

The pop-out rollover menus don't line up next to their parent. The first one does but then the second one is a little too low and the final two (community partners and publications) are waaaay too low. Obviously some padding or something is accumulating in a weird way with each li or ul or something. Any idea what the fix is? :D

It's the JS. This fixes it.

You need to add this for IE6. #contentbody div {display:inline;} I don't really see why though, because you have no margins on them. but it fixes it.

Ah! Nice. But now when you roll onto the sub menu the parent loses its highlight.

Ahh... My bad! I just assumed only IE6 was using that JS. So you need that for all browsers then. I couldn't find a fix. But now you at least know it's the JS doing it. If it's only IE7 doing it. Then you could just feed it some different rules with the conditional comments. Something like ul {margin:-100px 0 0;}

Thanks again. In case this is useful to anyone I found this alternate js that I'm only giving to ie7: https://cakeforge.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/webroot/js/menu.js?rev=11&root=hotcakes&view=markup

It works well enough (in every other browser the parent stays highlighted when on the child menu but in ie7 the parent loses its highlighting - but at least the menus all appear in the right place!)

Now to figure out why ie6 is making the menu backgrounds all white...

IE 6 is a zombie, dead but does not know it and runs around eating hapless web sites. It is "standards Impaired" :D to be politically correct. What did Satan do to you to deserve being brought into conjunction with it. Besides you know what all those web developers in Hell have to design for right? IE5 and below!!!!