Building worpress theme from scratch tutorial

arriveonline

I've actually recently ordered this and waiting for the discs to come through the mail.

I notice of course that wordpress files are .php files. I don't have any prior experience with php - will I struggle with the wordpress tutorial videos?

I was wondering if I should have ordered the beginners php course first.

Thanks

Thanks for your response. I put the code in the index.php file as instructed in the video. Should i have put it somewhere else?

"The code' is a bit generic, but if the video tells you to put it in the index file, then that's where it should go. If something isn't working, we need to see what you have.

Ben's right, having some understanding of PHP is clearly helpful, but I have none and that didn't hinder me in following this tutorial and doing my own themes. I just had to be more careful copying the php code, as I wouldn't be able to catch any typos by just looking at my lines.

"The code' is a bit generic, but if the video tells you to put it in the index file, then that's where it should go. If something isn't working, we need to see what you have.

Ben's right, having some understanding of PHP is clearly helpful, but I have none and that didn't hinder me in following this tutorial and doing my own themes. I just had to be more careful copying the php code, as I wouldn't be able to catch any typos by just looking at my lines.

Yay,

I figured it out...where it says get posts( plural) i had get post(singular) that was the issue.. I definitely do need to learn php but according to the tutor..it is not required to follow the tutorial successfully

.I will keep on going...I am determined to learn building wp themes despite my lack of PHP knowledge... Thanks for everyone's response. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I just completed the how to build WordPress themes tutorial and i ended up with a homepage, blog page about us, a side bar footer amongst other things. My homepage has 2 pictures that were included in the tutorial...but my next challenges were not addressed in the video..

1. i need get these files from local host to my hosting company..host-gator...prior to that i would like to change the look of the theme with Photoshop..so that the theme looks unique...any guidance that you can share would be helpful...

2. After the above..how will i make this theme public for others to download once ready?

any links you can share on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.

Guys,

I just completed the how to build WordPress themes tutorial and i ended up with a homepage, blog page about us, a side bar footer amongst other things. My homepage has 2 pictures that were included in the tutorial...but my next challenges were not addressed in the video..

1. i need get these files from local host to my hosting company..host-gator...prior to that i would like to change the look of the theme with Photoshop..so that the theme looks unique...any guidance that you can share would be helpful...

2. After the above..how will i make this theme public for others to download once ready?

any links you can share on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.

• 11 months later...

I'm working on "Introducing the Wordpress API". I can't get index.php and style.css to link.

Where have I screwed up?

Here's my index.php

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "_//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="<?php bloginfo('name'); ?> RSS Feed"

href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />

<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" type="text/css" />

<?php wp_head(); ?>

</head>

<body>

<h1><?php bloginfo('name');?> </h1>

<h2><?php bloginfo('description');?> </h2>

</body>

</html>

And here's my style.css

/*

Theme Name: My Template

Theme URI: http://localhost/wordpress

Description: Simple Wordpress Theme