Designing for PSP and other small screen tools

LSW

Accessibility is not always about people with disabilities, just as often it is simply about "People accessing the web" regardless if it is a disability or a software, hardware or user agent.

Now many Web Developers in the US and Canada feel we need only deal with normal browsers. But all web sites are international and can be visited by any one any where. Cell phones can not be ignored, for instance in Germany 97% of Germans have cell phones and 72% of those do use them to enter the net.

Same goes with PSP (Play Station Portable), it may not be really common here yet but it is in Asia and the richer areas/people of the Middle East and getting really popular in Germany. I am finding more references to Yuppies using them to surf as well as play games.

Just before leaving Germany I saw a German test that placed PSP against a PDA, Cell Phone and a organizer. As far as surfing PSP beat them all, the PDA only managed to be better in writing emails.

So for your info I offer you a few articles on designing for PSP and will add portable agents in general. PSP, cell phones, PDAs and internet capable game consoles are not going away, but they will get better and more wide spread.

Sony PSP

General Info