CREATING SEARCH FORM IN DREAMWEAVER

Jarel101

Hi, I'm creating a image gallery and I'm about 90% complete. One of my final objectives is to create a keyword search for my image gallery. I have 4 fields in my DB, (id,image,description,keywords) I want to be able to enter keywords into a search and the images with there descriptions show up. I've been searching the internet and Youtube and I can't find any tutorials that I fully comprehend. I already have the keywords in my mysql. After inserting the form, text field and search button I don't really know the next step.

For this project I'm using Dreamweaver Cs5, I'm not really an experienced coder I rely heavily on dreamweaver for my code, I just make minor tweaks. So if anyone has an answer to my problem please break down and simplify your answer I'm still a beginner. Thanks in advance.

ps

If anyone knows of any other video tutorials of this process please inform me, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I believe you are looking for the LIKE method in mysql. http://www.mysqltutorial.org/sql-like-mysql.aspx

Ok say you have a first and last name in the database.

id     first_name      last_name

1      John            Smith
2      Joe             Blow
3      Samantha        Beth

Now in order to search you can use this:

"SELECT first_name, last_name FROM users LIKE 'J%'"

and that will return 2 rows. Since there are 2 names that start with J and this could be first or last name.

The % tells mysql which way to search, after the letter J% is searching right, before the letter %J searches left and %J% will search both.

"SELECT first_name, last_name FROM users LIKE '%th'" 

will return the names that end in 'th'.

Your form would look like this:

<form method="post" action="somepage.php">
<input type="text" name="search" size="20" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search" />
</form>

PHP:

name="search" would be $_POST['search'] <-- holds the value that was inputted into the text field.

name="submit" would be $_POST['submit'] <-- you can do a check to see if the button was clicked.

if(isset($_POST['submit']) && isset($_POST['search'])) {

// search the database here

}
else {

// either $_POST['search'] or $_POST['submit'] was not set.

}

Hopefully this clears it up for you :).

Edited by Archadian