What questions should I ask of an SEO expert?

daddyalfie

Ask them for their degree.

Define an expert? I am/was the accessibility guru here, I know the subject but would never claim top be an expert.

I guess that if they claim to be experts I would not trust them. Especially in SEO where there are so many different train of thought that there is not really even a base line. You will find "SEO Experts" claiming Meta tags are important and others that they are not but all see themselves as experts.

I would trust the opinions found in this forum more than those of a supposed expert.

The page of one of my sites has been turning up number 1 on Google for a while for the search term 'Roman Chester'. I don't consider myself to be an expert on the Romans, Chester, SEO or web design. But i do have an interest in all the aforesaid 'hobbies' and I put the high search engine ranking down to the quality of the material included on the page. I do realise, having dipped into this forum from time to time, that i need to improve a lot of things on it - including usability/accessibility. I've also learned that there are plenty of tips, tricks and tools freely available to improve traffic. Hang on to your cash if you can.

Good advice Deva, I also the like the "stay away from I'll have you rank at number one" comment above too.

The thing is it is not really a lie as Deva shows, you have been number one for some rather specific searches. At the top of my game, I did not appear in Google for "Web Design until the pages hit the 500's, add Accessibility to it and I did better Specify web design in Juneau AK I was Page two. Lamson + Web Design I have been Number one. Lamson brought me Number one in Google and number 4 in Yahoo.

So I may not be lying if I promise you No. 1... if I do a specific search, like your full name (Unless your a John Smith). So the more specific your search the hire you rate.

Everyone: If you here a promise of number one (without paying the search engine for it), remember to specifically ask under what search terms you will be number one.

Oh and Alfie, do not forget search phrases. You will likely do better with "Accessible web design in Juneau Alaska" than just "web design alaska" Make it easy for people to find you with a human search style... not just one word descriptions.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, there is no quick recipe about how to become a SEO expert over night. Like with many professions it takes time to master the art. SEO Services is one such company which acts like a unit of skilled SEO experts who work around the clock to provide the best results.

Edited by Andrea
Link Deleted - no SPAM, please

SEO is NOT complex, just unknown.

What I mean to say, is that the process of making ones website more search engine friendly, is actually accomplished with technically easy fixes - especially if you have a properly structured modern website.

... In the past, when people used old-school web design techniques, SEO was required because the old school web design techniques often times made web pages opaque, from the search engines perspective. Funny, I've put together a collection of SEO and web marketing tips (about 40) just a few weeks ago. I haven't decided if I will publish the list though ...

BTW, BIG changes/additions are coming to killersites very soon - the biggest in years. Stay tuned!

Stef

• 1 month later...

Quality comes with a price. If someone says that he is gonna get you on top rankings in 2-3 weeks then he just doing the initial money. Real experts will always tell you the amount of time and the work involved. He will tell you that we can get it on top say like 3-6 months then he is real. You will find lot of people who will claim to get on top withing few weeks.

• 7 months later...
Guest gowebbaby1

Hi,

I totally agree with ericlenhard, a real SEO expert will never say that your website will be in number 1 position, a real expert can only show it to you. :)

Thanks

Interesting... as a moderator I see what you folks do not. Right above gowebbaby1 is a spam post hidden from you all from someone who posted and then deleted their account who posts:

One of my client Gowebbaby provides the best seo services.You may contact them.They are having an expert team of seo.

{I highlighted the word "expert"}

Now isn't that interesting... a spammer spams us and then and then you join up and post using the same name as the company spamming us. Go figure...blink.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello Daddyalfie,

Seo is a slow and continuous process and it will take time to bring a website in top ten or in first position, so an seo expert could not claim that he/she would be able to accomplish this task within a few days or weeks, but during seo process you will see seo-results in terms of high traffic, link building, lead generation, online visibility of your site.

So in my opinion look for an experienced seo expert who should has sound knowledge about seo, who uses white hat seo techniques and know everything about Google updates.