Where did I go wrong

Virtual-Instructor

Ok I am officially frustrated :bash: . For the last three days I have been stuck on Video 7 of the Basics of PHP. I was able to follow the video and understand everything that was being said. Unfortunately I have not been able to duplicate the results in the video with the results on my local machine. I will start by posting the code that I hand typed using MS Notepad.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv'"Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>Boston Virtual ATC Share the Cockpit</title>

</head>

<body>

<?php

print "Hello World.";

print "I am learning this so that these first steps become the future of the STC Web Site.";

?>

</body>

</html>

Ok in the video Steph stops and talks about projects that you see on the local host page. I have been trying to get the strings to display on the page, but all I get is either a display of the txt doc or a blank white page. I know that I am close because the meta data appears on the browser tab, however I am not actually able to get the thing to display. Now I did notice in the video that Steph never discusses how to save the txt document so that it will display as a web page and he is also using Dreamweaver.

So far I have tried saving the document as a txt format, which returns the txt display, when I save the document as an html, all I get is a blank page. What am I missing here. I would like to move on past video 7 and continue on but I'm not willing to do so until I can get the same results on my computer that the video is displaying. Any help here is appriciated.

Try

<?php
echo "Hello World.";
echo "I am learning this so that these first steps become the future of the STC Web Site.";
?>

print() and print_r() is mainly for printing out arrays. the r in print_r() prints the array out in a readable format.

Edited by Archadian

You need to save it as a .php file, so the server understands that it contains PHP code, and make sure you place the files (I'm assuming you are using WAMP?) within c:/wamp/www so the server can access the files. And obviously WAMP needs to be running.

As usual Ben you are an endless wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the clarification.