quick site critique

AnthonyJ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning folks,

Happy Friday to all!

I put the margin in. I like the way that looks, and I put in the p tags. I am though lost in this image concept. I put the path in my index file and in the root.css I put url(stratlogo)...I don't get it.....I read the article Andrea and ( I didn't know you could put a image in a menu div or whatever..that is soooo cool)I am lost on how it translates.

the link to your image inside your html right now looks like this:

www.byyourdesign.com/wp-content/themes/mytheme/images/stratlogo.jpg"

If yo uput that inside your address bar and click, you'll get taken to a page not found. That means that either the file path is incorrect or you have a typo in the spelling of the image file - or both - or you have not uploaded the image to that folder.

When you look at your online folders - look for wp-content and open it - is there another folder called 'themes" that holds 'mytheme' that holds 'images'? And if so, inside images, do you see stratlogo.jpg?

I dunno what I did, but I got the path right now. Here is my css, what am I doing wrong to get it as a background img?

*{margin:0;

padding: 0;}

body{

background: url(stratlogo.jpg)

}

#wrapper{

width: 980px;

background: white;

margin: 0 auto;

}

#header {

margin-bottom: 20px;

text-align:center;

color:#000090;

background: #fff;

font-size: 30px;

}

#navigation {

margin-top: ;

font-size: 18px;

width: 100px;

float: left;

background: ;

color: #000090;

}

#column-center {

width: 400px;

float: left;

}

#column-right {

margin:0 80px;

width: 300px;

float: right;

}

#footer {

clear: both;

text-align: center;

background: #000090;

color: #fff;

}

Your image now shows up as part of your HTML because now you have the path and tthe spelling of the file name correct.

If you change your CSS to this:

background-image: url('images/stratlogo.JPG');

your image will show up as a repeating background image. Not a look I'd recommend, but this is just practice, right?

What you have: background-image: url('stratlogo.jpg'); is not working because file names are case sensitive, and the 'jpg' in your actual image name are capitalized but in your code it's not - and that makes it 2 totally different things. You'll make your life a whole lot easier if you stick to lower case for file and folder names only.

Also, the cSS assumes the image is in the very same folder as the file, which it's not - there's another folder called 'images' in the folder your HTML file is in, and the image is inside that one.

What does all of this mean? What is rmenu? what is a:link and a:visited? What is a:...?

ul.rMenu li a:link, ul.rMenu li a:active,

ul.rMenu li a:visited, ul.rMenu li {

background: transparent !important;

text-align: center; font-size: 20%;

}

ul.rMenu li a:hover {

background: transparent !important;

}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu {

border-right: none;

border-left: none;

}

Have you guy's looked at this site...www.memories-in-crystal.com ? It is another critique asked by another member. I like the look of this site and now I ask, what images spring in your mind when you hear arj communications and technologies? Now I understand what you all were saying in the front about my page, it really is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, you'd have to try it and see. I imagine it should have buttons that would allow the viewer to advance forward/back through the slides.

You might also try something like http://www.slideshare.net/. I believe you upload your slideshow to their service, and then can embed it within your own website. This is another alternative, from Microsoft this time: http://blogs.office.com/b/office_blog/archive/2010/09/24/say-more-in-your-blog-with-embedded-powerpoint-and-excel-files.aspx

ok sidebar...where did I miss the lesson on screen sizes...I am working on a website/operations manual for the account I work on at work.I am going on vaca next week and I need a reference manual. So I figured I would practice my html and create a web-manual. Anyway my laptop is one size and the desktop I use is another, how do I make the page fit both?

There are a couple ways to approach this. You can build a flexible layout where the width is measured in percentage rather than pixels (and probably uses min-width and max-width) which will adapt to the size of the browser.

Alternately, you could build a fixed with layout (usually the option I choose) that will fit within most browsers without scrolling. The smallest still reasonably popular browser size still in common usage is 1024x768, so a lot of people build websites with a width of somewhere between 960 and 980.

I think you'll need to specify what issues you are experiencing? What do you want, and what are you currently getting?

If you are talking about the width issue, keep in mind that your main container is 1250px wide, which is too wide for some resolutions to see without horizontal scroll bars. As I said above, your best bet is to switch to either use percentages to determine the website width, so it grows/contracts as the browser size changes, or use a fixed width layout around 960-980px wide.

ok a couple of things.

1. yes the width thing is off. Here on my laptop all is well but on a monitor about 17-20in the "main" is way too small. The padding for the grey area is like 40-50px.

2. I want the page that has the link "here" under the tree browse kits to fill the whole page.

3.I originally had the page in #2 in a images folder and created another css file for that page but it would not do its thing, so I moved it to the root folder...Why didn't it work?

4. Obviously I need to change the text for the other pages but I am not sure how to(this seems so stupid <_< )because of the css that the page links to. Do I need a seperate css for each page?

1) If you want a page that fills the full screen no matter the browser width, you'll need to set your various divs to use percentages rather than pixels for width.

However, keep in mind -- from a usability standpoint, you really don't want the site to fill the full page. If the page is too wide, the site isn't very usable, since readability of text is decreased if the text goes all the way across the page. I can't remember the exact figure, but studies have shown that the optimal line length is somewhere around 90 characters. Any longer than that, and it starts to decrease readability. That's where using a max-width is usually a good idea. This is especially important for visitors with large monitors. For example, I'm currently running a 23" 1920x1200 resolution screen. If I have my browser set to full screen, I really don't want the website to fill the entire screen -- it just takes up too much horizontal space and is difficult to read.

3) The CSS didn't work because you most likely didn't have a correct path to the CSS file. Say you have this setup:

- /main folder/

---- style.css

---- /another folder/

-------- your HTML file

If your HTML file is in a folder, you'd need to link the CSS file with something like "../style.css". The "../" moves up one directory, which allows the browser to look outside of the current folder for the CSS file. The path to the CSS file is relative to the current HTML file you are accessing.

4) see #3

ok un-sidebar back to the power-point thing,I want to put the .ppt show in the LogiMax and Plantra paragraph. Can't I simply put the file in images and put a link in the paragraph somewhere? Like a <a href="whatever">plantra_power_point</a>?