Why doesn't my index.txt file update my index.html file

AnthonyJ

Hi Guys,

I hate to ask this ( but I rather ask then not know..right?)

I am working the beginning html course and created the index.txt file and did a save as to .html But now when I update the .txt ( like changing the link names) I have to redo the save as. I can't simple do a save (ctrl-s)and refresh my browser. What am I doing wrong....I know it is probably really something small but I am not seeing it.

Thanks

You should be updating the index.html file directly, then you can (ctrl+s). When you made your index.txt file you saved it as index.html which opens another file, so if you are writing in index.txt you will have to save as each time.

Yes, yes, yes.....

I was out having a smoke and Holy Spirit told me that I needed to open the html doc with your text editor, make the changes and save it at that point. See I knew it was something small. But I thank you for the quick response!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also new to this forum. Perhaps I missed the tutorial where it is explained on how to save code into your index.html file directly. In fact, it appears the only way I can see the code for the index.html file is by clicking "view source" in the browser. But this does not allow me to edit the file... it only allows me to view the source code. Please explain. Thank you.

Hello,

I am also new to this forum. Perhaps I missed the tutorial where it is explained on how to save code into your index.html file directly. In fact, it appears the only way I can see the code for the index.html file is by clicking "view source" in the browser. But this does not allow me to edit the file... it only allows me to view the source code. Please explain. Thank you.

Your file needs to be saved as an HTML file (".html") for a web browser to be able to understand it properly. If you want to edit the file, right click on it, select "Open With" and select Notepad or your text editor of choice.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply. It works! Great! Thanks! It is very much appreciated.

Your file needs to be saved as an HTML file (".html") for a web browser to be able to understand it properly. If you want to edit the file, right click on it, select "Open With" and select Notepad or your text editor of choice.