IE Hacks

daddyalfie

I have this website you all have reviewed for various issues before. It is almost all done, but one final issue remains.

My customer reviews my stuff in IE7!!!! so I have to explain to him why things don't line up for just 8 to 10% of viewers. (Yes heSHOULD upgrade...but!)

I have read scads of discussions in these forums about CSS hacks, but nowhere what they actually are! (Perhaps for good reason?)

For instance, on the index page towards the bottom there are two "buttons" that say Bookmark this Page and Like Us on Facebook. In LTE IE7 they a shoved about 100px to the right! FF and IE9 show them properly centered.

Any thoughts on a hack to shove them back in IE7?

Thanks guys and gals!

Alfie

<p><b>Be the first to get our<br> packages, specials <br>and event updates.</p></b></li>

You need to close your tags in the right order - closing p and b tag are reversed.

@Eddie - An obvious solution which, of course, worked perfectly! Moral of the story: When you have flogged the problem to shreds on one side to no avail, - try flogging on a fresh side! :angry:

@Eagle-eye Andrea - Thanks for the catch! It shall be fixed! :clap:

Again, thanks!

Alfie

The only 'virus' I ever heard of that makes things look bad in IE is called IE.....

But then, I don't have all the answers, so pattinson or perth, please explain this to me.

I have written on this subject Alfie, just can't seem to find it. I wonder if it got lost moving from the old forums, I thought it was in fact a pinned discussion.

Basically it was comparing the new IE aspect allowing you to choose which version of IE should be emulated.

To answer your question, work-arounds and other such things are good. Hacks are Bad. What a Hack is is a way to use a mistake to correct something. IE does something wrong, so you use that mistake to correct a problem. That is fine and works... for a while.

But what happens when the next version of IE comes out and they correct it? You took advantage of a mistake, which is corrected so your hack now breaks as the mistake is no longer there. Clear as mud?

Hacks are simply the bad habit (common in the 90's - early 2000s when IE did not support standards) of basing your design on mistakes in IE to make it look good. Once the next came out and they began using standards the hacks broke the sites.

Instead of talking about IE "Hacks", wouldn't it be more helpful to discuss "IE Conditional Comments"? I would think that IE Conditional Comments should not be considered "hacks" whatsoever, but merely ways to insert IE browser-specific code under certain defined scenarios that might correct IE display inconsistencies.

Here's someone's page about it --not meant to be the be all and end all of explanations: IE Conditional Comments

As I said, there are ways to handle IE and my article was about conditional comments.

The question posed however is what are Hacks? Conditional comments were the way to go, however being more standards proficient they are not so much needed anymore.

I have read scads of discussions in these forums about CSS hacks, but nowhere what they actually are! (Perhaps for good reason?)

CSS Hacks, IE Hacks.. they are all the same really, just taking advantage of mistakes in IE primarily.

As I said, there are ways to handle IE and my article was about conditional comments.

The question posed however is what are Hacks? Conditional comments were the way to go, however being more standards proficient they are not so much needed anymore.

CSS Hacks, IE Hacks.. they are all the same really, just taking advantage of mistakes in IE primarily.

As usual, Kyle is quite correct and my initial question was probably mis-worded. I asked for "hacks" when I should have asked for "IE conditional statements".

As it turns out, Eddie's magnificent answer solved the problem by doing an "end-run" on the issue.

You people will all go to heaven because of your basic goodness! (Hope to see you there!)

Alfie

Wow! What a wonderful bag of worms I stirred up with that post!

Yous guys are awesome!

Wouldn't it be great to have a "party", like the amateur astronomers do, and all get together at some site and actually meet "eye to eye"?

Stephan, what do you think? Toronto?

Just a thought.

Alfie