How would you feel about this as a developer/programmer?

merilan

I am thinking about reducing my developers workday to 6 or seven hours and making the last 2 - 1 hr everyday time for them to learn more about the specific programming language or a new language or something else that can benefit the company. I figure they get to beef up their resume, but I don't know how they would feel about that or whatever. Would they feel like this is interrupting their workflow.

Since most of you are programmers, what says you?

or should it be a day thing. mondays are crappy, should it be mondays? I'd even throw in the brain foods.

I just want to optimize those brains.

help

As a developer, I would probably like that. I always have side projects that I'd love to work on but never really have the time to. However, I think there are two potential side effects:

-- some developers may get lazy, and end up browsing the internet or doing other non-productive things (or trying to go home early instead.)

-- I think that there is the potential for loss of revenue and slowdown on company projects. I probably wouldn't make this an every day thing, but perhaps one day a week is fine. It probably depends where you are as a company and if you can afford that loss of productivity. If you are earning a lot of money and things are going well, then there may not be an issue. If the company is barely making it, I'm not sure if that makes much sense.

Realistically, probably the best thing to do is to talk to your developers and see what they think.

I do understand your concerns:

In my opinion you should talk to your developers.

have a meeting, (i know another freaking meeting) Think of a way to challange them.

everybody loves a challange.

The last part of the day is the most unproductive,worked all day,wanting to go home early,what ever.

Mabey first thing- think of a new thing to learn to help the company while there (hopefully fresh).

Cutting hours unless you have to sends bad vibes and they start updating thoes resumes on your time.

Talk to them.

As a Programmer for the state of Alaska... each of us are different. I know a few here that work later, they come in after 10 a.m. and work well after 5 p.m. and that works for them.

I start work generally at 6:30 a.m. so I get off with the kid around 3 p.m. (37.5 hr. work week). For me the early morning is most productive, around noon I begin dropping off.

So I would suggest making the time flexible, let them choose the time. Training is important, things move fast as well as techniques. Help them train and not just study. Some Alaska State divisions use Webucator. I have enjoyed their online training courses.

Look around, would your company have use in a technology like Adobe Flex? Flash based dynamic web and application development. Let them train on some of the off the wall systems and it helps them and you may find for instance that Flex is a great tool for your company. Not to mention Use Case Development training would be good for them and you.

Lastly, what about pet projects? Google allows their people to work on side projects of their own choice. This has resulted in this person finder they have for disasters like Japan where they can list themselves as survivors and you can use it to find friends and loved ones. That was a side project thought up by an employee. I believe street view was an employee idea as well. Who knows what they might come up with that will help your company.

I for one work alone on projects, so after a while, especially if their are constant problems, you get burned out on a project. I have a list so I will go to the next and begin documenting it etc., just to get some distance to what I was doing so I can come back with a fresh eye. Giving you folks free time to study or work on private projects as Google does gives them a break from the monotony of long term projects, it keeps them fresh so they don't spin their wheels as much with a project they work for a long period.

So yea, I think it is a good idea. If you really want to be a "New Age" employer, some larger (but lesser known) companies in Europe have tried things like allowing employees to bring pets with them (keeps folks happy, and relaxed, how better to avoid stress and anger than have your pet slobber all over you or just pet them. Even folks without pets can enjoy others pets.) or allowing employees naps (paid). We all hit a low mark where we begin to trance out, for me as an early bird it is around 9-10 am. For most people it is just after lunch. So after a 30 min. nap, they are awake and sharp and working at full capacity rather than just trudging along. Both of these ideas have proved to be as successful as they are unorthodox.

As a developer, I would probably like that. I always have side projects that I'd love to work on but never really have the time to. However, I think there are two potential side effects:

-- some developers may get lazy, and end up browsing the internet or doing other non-productive things (or trying to go home early instead.)

-- I think that there is the potential for loss of revenue and slowdown on company projects. I probably wouldn't make this an every day thing, but perhaps one day a week is fine. It probably depends where you are as a company and if you can afford that loss of productivity. If you are earning a lot of money and things are going well, then there may not be an issue. If the company is barely making it, I'm not sure if that makes much sense.

Realistically, probably the best thing to do is to talk to your developers and see what they think.

same here Ben....as a programmer there are times that i get lazy especially when the project is too big....:)