Difficult Design

danhodge

Hello again :)

I am in the process of creating my first official website - which is for a family member, so i have had the fortune of being able to talk to her in person about it. I have run into an issue on the design however.

She asked for a naturalish looking design, with a wood theme in the center (taking up the whole of the centered part), and a sky background. This was done fine, and to her happiness, so i told her i would finish it off at home, so i could work on it a bit better, with more programs available(we were working on her laptop).

Now, because of the wood in the middle, it is very hard to get visable writing down, so im not sure how im going to put anything on the site whatsoever...

I have added my an attachment with my first attempt at this, with the image on it too as she had asked. I would love any criticism into the website, and more importantly - how would you go about writing onto a wood background like this?

Thanks,

Danny

post-30406-059415500 1305462275_thumb.jpg

Your approach with the background color behind the text works. You can try to make it a bit transparent to see how that affects the readability of the text - but never sacrifice that over appearance.

Overall, the thumbnail makes it look like the content itself is very narrow - with current resolutions, you're save to design for at leat 1000 px wide: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

I think it should be fitting to the screen - my screen is w = 1600 h = 1000, and it seems to work on peoples laptops too...

The website host is currently reviewing the site, so i can't give you a link yet, but i will when its possible.

Thanks, i tried with several colors/shades, and thats the only one that seems to work well. Brown is such a hard color to work with sometimes :lol:

I think it should be fitting to the screen - my screen is w = 1600 h = 1000, and it seems to work on peoples laptops too...

I was talking about the part of the page that actually has contents - the wooden section. That one, at least on the thumbnail, looks very narrow. And whatever people see has nothing to do with what they are looking at (as in laptop or monitor or monitor size) but everything to do with the resolution that monitor is set.

And I'm curious: Why is your webhost reviewing your site?

Ahh yes, i am trying to work on that, its just hard to expand images without pixelating them - im still not very good with graphics yet :S

And it was 'Checking for malicious content', but its done now. Its a free website host, so they take a while.

I'm just testing online before i get the real one going, so i can send the link to her via email.

If you wanna check it out its here:

http://potato.net46.net/

It's back up - I'm viewing in FX and it doesn't look right- the grass cuts off on the left side, and the sky restarts under it. You need to consider that people will view at all kinds of different resolutions and a good design works in all of them.

Oh i know about that, the grass is what i added to see if its going to look okay there, its also terrible quality with white sections i haven't removed :)

I'm still working on the textbox right now, i need something that works well enough...

I agree that the grass is too much. I also think the clouds background is a bit too much as well. I would want to soften that up using some other background pattern to go with the wood background.

Since it's sort of a catering/outdoor cooking business I would try to go with something a bit more rustic looking. I think the wood background is ok but maybe have it to appear as natural cut oak wood that has aged a bit.

Also, the Bake Well logo could be done as though it is branded/burnt into the wood. It would certainly give it some style.

• 3 weeks later...