Please comment...

sarah

... what you like/dislike about the design of this page, and the way it is built.

w ww.artemo saic.com

It is my first page, I learned HTML and CSS from scratch to do it. But I am not here for "Oh how nice!" I work hard for things and if I realize they are crap I work harder until they are not - or at least I learn to do the next one better. Otherwise I would not want to start a thing.

Things I don't like myself: Should be all centered. But as I was glueing everything in its place with position:absolute i guess its too late unless I work it all over, which I do not intend so far. Or is there any super-secret trick?

And the form I added does not validate because of two things I have no idea how to fix. At least I did not write that thing myself... I guess I should.

Thanks for your comments

Sarah

Fairly dark design, but still very nice.

I liked the Gallery of Photos and the multiple language selection.

The multi languages causes some warnings about the space in the link tags, but not errors. I could not find any errors on the Contact page using Tidy in Firefox. There is often some disagreement between Tidy and the W3C.org html checker. I wouldn't worry about warnings, only errors.

Have you seen the Hoverbox Gallery code? It does a larger image pop-up like yours, except centred on the thumbnail instead of at the top of the window. Might want to check it out. I wrote a php script that reads a folder and writes the Gallery if you need it, let me know.

Edited by jlhaslip

Well, first of all thank you very much. I must say I am fairly proud of that gallery. First I had one done with an adobe template, but it was a bit different from the rest so I was working on creating my own gallery. Where do I find that Hoverbox Gallery code? If there is anything already done, I could change that position of the big images. It is not perfect. but if I get into experimental coding again on more than one page at a time my family kills me... :rolleyes:

And the php-script sounds interesting. What exactly does it do? I would be glad to be able to add pictures more easily as I will have to improve the image section soon, some of the photos really suck.

Well and about the mistakes I will just prefer to believe the Firefox tidy, not W3C for now and leave things as they are. :)

Greetings,

Sarah

http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery

And here is a Hoverbox that uses the script mentioned above.

http://www.taryngillies.com/index.php

This particular example reads a Folder of images and randomly displays them in a Hoverbox.

Refresh the screen to see the 'random' effct.

You might rather read the entire Folder.

The script is structured so that you can use small thumbnails to display medium size pictures on hover with the full-size on-click.

get rid of the validation and counter boxes.

Well, that must be the beginner's excitement of being able to create valid code... and seriously, the idea to remove my little validation boxes of pride causes me almost as much pain as the thought of to stop smoking... but then, you are right, they do not add anything to the page.

After being enlightened about the real function of positioning in another thread, I might even be able to get the centering done.

jlhaslip: Thats a beautiful thing, that Hoverbox. Much prettier to have it in a neat box and not spread all over like mine. Just would like bigger hover-on images than the ones in the example and some margin between the small ones but for that I will have to get into zooming images and image-sizes in general, stuff I do not understand yet. Then I will go for it, leaving my family without dinner for a couple of days more. (Why don't they feed on code, like me... :P )

Thank you all for making me learn more!

Hello Sarah,

Greetings from Venezuela...

I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I think anyway.

First of all, I love the choice of colors, especially the yellow tones. I like the simplicity of the whole layout too, which makes content clearer. Also, I like the fact that the language buttons are part of the design, and not simple small buttons you can hardly see.

The only thing I'll add is a footer. Somehow, it gives a close ending to the page (but that's my personal opinion)

Cheers,

Eduardo