Question : How to start learning the Zend Framework

JohnD

Hi ,

I'm a totally self educated web designer . My learning resources are usually from the web , Phpkiller.com included :) .

Mysql , php , OOP and Actionscript 3 are the fields that I have learned while involved with web design . A new topic that I find amaging is the Zend framework , but it is totally confused to me . Many articles on the net are targeted to older versions of the zend framework and the articles on the official site are mostly targeted to experienced users . Books that I have found from amazon.com are also targeted to older version of this framework .Even screen-casts on your site are targeted to older versions of zend .

Can you please list the learning route that a new zend framework developer must follow to learn this framework .The opinion from a experienced developer is important to me .

Thanks ..

JohnD! Another Zend hopeful! I work in the Zend Framework environment everyday and absolutely love it. I purchased a Book from amazon to get started with Zend Framework. The website for this book is http://akrabat.com/zend-framework-tutorial/

IBM also has some decent tutorials for getting started with your learning.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-zend1/

It took me a while to get started with basics and with PHP now being OOB was new to me (since I hadn't programmed anything in over 5 years prior to jumping right back into it full time). You'll catch on quick, and once you've got the basics about how the framework works together, you'll be cruising.

I read this board often, so let me know if you have any questions, I can try to help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

Thanks for your respond , I appreciate your suggestions .

Of course I'll order the book from amazon.com and try out my limits :) .

Thanks again .....

It sounds like you have had more luck with Zend than I did. The installation reacted badly with Vista on my system, so I had to remove it...

I don't know if anyone else had this problem. So at the moment I cannot use Zend which clearly isn't ideal but I have to make do :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,

I'm a totally self educated web designer . My learning resources are usually from the web , Phpkiller.com included :) .

Mysql , php , OOP and Actionscript 3 are the fields that I have learned while involved with web design . A new topic that I find amaging is the Zend framework , but it is totally confused to me . Many articles on the net are targeted to older versions of the zend framework and the articles on the official site are mostly targeted to experienced users . Books that I have found from amazon.com are also targeted to older version of this framework .Even screen-casts on your site are targeted to older versions of zend .

Can you please list the learning route that a new zend framework developer must follow to learn this framework .The opinion from a experienced developer is important to me .

Thanks ..

I recently started on Zend and I picked up Zend Framework 1.8 Web Application Development by Keith Pope.