Web Hosting?

danhodge

Before i start, i wasn't sure where to place this, so feel free to move it as you wish.

I have finally gotten my first job, however i don't know much about paid web-hosting. Its my auntie that needs the website, and it is only a one(maybe 4 or 5 maximum) page site with her details on it, so it doesn't need much room whatsoever. There is a high chance it wont use any website programming either(PHP, Javascript etc...).

I understand free web-hosting should be out of the picture for a serious website, however the only advantages i see will come from a paid web host for this website are the professional looking domain, and the fact that the website will be a decent speed to load up other pages, and from the search engine.

Although i did do my research on this, im still uncertain where to go for this, however the most relevant one i found was this:

http://www.justhost.com/

£1.95 a month, but im not sure if that means it will go back up to the original price(check the link to see what i mean), and i don't even know whether or not you can get a cheaper web host for what i need. If anyone has used a cheaper webhost than this, please tell me!

Thanks a lot,

Danny

It sounds like you the website won't require much in the way of hosting, so going with a low cost webhost should be fine, assuming there is no serious downtime. Just don't go with GoDaddy. :P And yes, don't go with a free host -- you'll have to deal with ads, downtime issues, etc.

As far as that specific host goes, I'm seeing a £4.95 monthly fee, but no £1.95 a month?

Agree with Ben on GoDaddy - steer clear!

This is going to sound weird, but I have used the same host since 2005 - it's in England, and definitely not well-known. In fact, the site looks a tad.. sketchy :) But it's cheap, and offers a huge amount of free stuff via CPanel - WordPress installs, SQL installs, Wikis, Ruby, etc. Their support is also good - I get an email response in a few hours on average.

Take a look - I love them: http://www.dream-hosting.co.uk/

I've been with iPage for around a year now and have not had any problems.

I once was with 3ix - they are only $1 a month, but I left after my account got hacked a couple times even so I have a pretty solid password. but, depending on your needs, and especially if it's just a simple site , it may be a reasonable compromise. One of my clients is still with them, and there haven't been any problems in several months now.

Also, this may sound stupid as im guessing im right, but just incase: Does the client pay for the webhosting?

Depends how you set it up. You could set pay for it yourself, and then bill the client for it (probably billing them a bit more than the cost of the hosting, since you will be the one that they come to for support.) Reselling hosting may or may not be worth the small amount of money involved... Or you could ask them to sign up for hosting themselves, and provide you with the usernames/passwords that you need. If they need support, they would contact the host themselves.

3ix seems much cheaper, and i doubt the account will get hacked when it holds such a small website. I think i will use this one :)

although, there claim is:

Webspace 40 GB

Bandwidth 100GB

POP Email 50 a/c

This seems like a lot compared to other web-hosts, is it genuine?

And to Ben, when i said 'Im guessing im right', i meant that the website developer pays, not the client, sorry :L So thank you for that, my aunties knowledge for the internet goes as far as facebook, so i guess it would be simpler to use her details, instead of me having to use my Paypal account for it...

Size has nothing to do with it - the 2sites I had hacked were just small ones. Just make sure to use an ultra-secure password and keep an eye on traffic. (Google Analytics helped me realize when hacking, when the number of visitors skyrocketed)