Eclipse

andrewgreenwood247@hotmail

Hi All,

I'm thinking about switching my text editior from notepad++ to Eclipse soon but I just want some feedback from people who maybe using or used it in the past.

From what I have briefly seen on vids, it looks good to use when developing in OOP as you can click on the function/method names and it takes you straight to the file rather than browsing files for hours on end looking for what you want/need.

Thanks

Andy

I've never used eclipse before. At work though i use PhpED, it can do the things you are looking for, for example you can setup a workspace and project and when you click on the function/method names if takes you there. Also when you're looking for a function to use it provides a list of the ones in your classes, i've found it very useful.

Guest iahnalcantara

Hey.. I want to try Eclipse too. Do you have links for free downloads? I'm using Editpad lite by now, what do you think is more convenient to use?

I use eclipse daily for Flex coding. I certainly like it when it has the right plugins. What people do not realize is that some of the tools you may be using are based on the eclipse structure, so you may know your way around it. Adobe Flash Builder tool is based on eclipse, so you can jump from it to eclipse with the free plugin and back to builder.

For free why not just try it? I am new to PHP but the first thing I did was download Eclipse and load the color theme plug-in and the proj-x transfer plug-in. So now it looks like Notepad++ but I get code templates (like auto-completion), syntax checking, and with a key stroke I can upload my files to the FTP server. Its also pretty cool to have a function or class in a referenced include and when you instantiate it in, it will find, auto-complete and show you the parameters. Its like having a perfect memory. For OOP I can't imagine not having that sort of functionality.

Well guys, I have taken the plunge. I bought a new pc today so thought I would start afresh.

So I have Eclipse and I have also decided to change from WAMP to XAMPP. Installing Eclipse was a little fiddly.

If you want to try it iahnalcantara here is the link http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. choose to download Eclipse for PHP Developers

You will also need a "Java Runtime Environment" which i downloaded here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

If you're used to WAMP, the file stucture is very much different but once you have them all installed, use the readme_en file for guidance.

Took me a while to activate php in XAMPP but now all working fine.