Equal columns

daddyalfie

I'd make the wrapper background the same color green as the side bar and add that brown border to the content part. The only reason that would not work is on a page where the content is shorter than the side navigation, but I didn't notice that anywhere - and if there is one, just add a pic or min-height.

You can make the wrapper background image to have that green background and brown border included.

whiteroughtexture-with-green-column.jpg

Just download that image (above) and apply it to your #wrapper background.

Then you need to get rid of the background color and border-right for the #nav.

This will work regardless which column is shorter.

The image is only 20kb so no worries about slow download.

Edited by Eddie

There's nothing wrong with what I said design-wise. It's not cutting any corners, using any bad code, or doing anything else objectable, its just a good way to sidestep the problem you're having.

But I like Eddie's solution, it's even easier than what I said - and you don't even have to make that image as high as it is (one or two pixels high would be enough) and can save even more on the size.

There's nothing wrong with what I said design-wise. It's not cutting any corners, using any bad code, or doing anything else objectable, its just a good way to sidestep the problem you're having.

But I like Eddie's solution, it's even easier than what I said - and you don't even have to make that image as high as it is (one or two pixels high would be enough) and can save even more on the size.

You know! Just after sending that reply to you Andrea, I was driving down the highway to do some errands, and thinking: "Andrea is not stupid! I am!"

Then the real intent of your answer hit me: "OF COURSE YOU DUMB SWEDE, THE MAIN DIV GOES ON TOP OF THE GREEN!!"

Brilliant! and yes Eddie's is even more brilliant!

Thanks both of you, you clever devils...

Alfie

Yes..we are brilliant in our own humble way.

It would have been nice if display: table and display: table-cell would work like the standard table cells thus the divs' height would be at the max of whatever div it's contained in....

<div id="content">

<div id="nav"></div>

</div>

CSS:

#content { display: table; }

#nav {display: table-cell: }

...or something like that.

Too bad.

I wouldn't recommend cutting Eddie's image down to 1 or 2px, because then the texture on the right hand side won't repeat the same way. It could be cut down to half probably so that the top part fits in seamlessly with the bottom part.

I wouldn't recommend cutting Eddie's image down to 1 or 2px, because then the texture on the right hand side won't repeat the same way. It could be cut down to half probably so that the top part fits in seamlessly with the bottom part.

Absolutely correct virtual. I tried an about 15px cut and it looks TOO repetitive.

I shall change it to the original "repeat" pattern which is about 100px high.

:clap:

Thanks so much for all your brilliant inputs!

Alfie