Why are my links not working?

Odessa Huggins

I have just started the Complete Web Design video tutorials. I was almost successful in completing the code for the first web site but somehow some of my links are not working on some of my pages. I will post the code for the index page below. The tables tutorial link is not working on that page. I have 2 more pages with broken links but I will wait to see what response I get here and try to fix the others if I can. I am pretty new here so I will appreciate any help that can be offered from this forum. Thanks!

Index Page

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>

<title>web design - tutorials: HOME</title>

<META NAME="description" content="Learn webdesign.">

<META NAME="keywords" content="web design, web designers, creating a website'>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<link href=ROOT.CSS" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

</head>

<body>

LOGO GOES HERE

<div id="navigation">

<ul>

<li>Home</li>

<li><a href="productList.html">Products</a></li>

<li><a href="cssTutorial/css.html">CSS</a></li>

<li><a href="tablesTutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a></li>

</ul>

</div>

<!-- MAIN DOCUMENT STARTS HERE--> <!-- MAIN DOCUMENT STARTS HERE-->

<div id="centerDoc">

<h3>XXX THE PLACE TO LEARN WEB DESIGN!</h3>

<p>

If you want to learn web design, <span class="makeBold">you've come to the right place!</span>

The following is a list of some of the key areas of this website that will get you on

your way designing web pages in no time:

</p class="makeBold">

<h3>WEB DESIGN ARTICLES FOR BEGINNERS AND EXPERTS</h3>

<p>

The <a href="articles/ArticlesHome.htm">

<span class="LARGER">articles</span></a> section of killersites.com

contains a grab bag of information related to web design ...

anyting from Flash to XML. It is best to just snoop around and you will probably find something you're interested in.

</p>

<h3>FOR TOTAL BEGINNERS</h3>

<p>

If you are totally new to web design, your first stop to learning web design should be at <a href="http://www.how-to-build-websites.com</span class="LARGER">www.how-to-build-websites.com</span></a>. When you're done there, come back to killersites.com for more.

<p>

The killersites.com <href="mvnforum/index.jsp"><span class="LARGER">message/bulletin board</span></a>

has plenty of helpful people - don't be shy to join in on the converstation! BTW, the message board is also a little

treasure chest of information that you can search with the boards' search tool.

</p>

<h3> WHAT ELSE IS THERE?</h3>

<p>

Killersites.com has a few other 'goody' sections that you might want to explore: the

<a href="photoStock/indexPhotoStock.htm"><span class="LARGER">free stock photography</span></a> and the

<a href="webDesignersHandbook/webdesignersHandbook.htm"><span class="LARGER">Web Designers Handbook</span></a> come to mind.

</p>

<p>

Thanks for stopping by.

</p>

<h3>Stefan Mischook</h3>

<div class=footer">

© 2004 killersites.com – all rights reserved

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Do you actually have a file called "tablesTutorial.html" in the very same folder you main document is in? And take note - file names are case sensitive - so tablesTutorial.html is not the same as Tablestutorial.html.

Also -- this often happens to beginners when they are first getting started -- check to make sure your files are named properly. Both Windows and Mac by default hide the file extension, so it's possible that your file is actually named filename.html.txt rather than filename.html.

Take a look at this topic and see if it helps: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3010-cant-open-my-website/page__gopid__16509entry16509

Do you actually have a file called "tablesTutorial.html" in the very same folder you main document is in? And take note - file names are case sensitive - so tablesTutorial.html is not the same as Tablestutorial.html.

Hi Andrea

Thanks for responding. The file name is tablesTutorial.html. I learnt this format from the video tutorial. I have another file name which is productList.html and it works. I can try the format you suggested to see if it works.

Thanks again will check back.

Also -- this often happens to beginners when they are first getting started -- check to make sure your files are named properly. Both Windows and Mac by default hide the file extension, so it's possible that your file is actually named filename.html.txt rather than filename.html.

Take a look at this topic and see if it helps: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3010-cant-open-my-website/page__gopid__16509entry16509

Thanks Ben

I will check out the site and check

To Ben and Andrea

Thanks for your help but I got through. I messed up on my file paths. This is fun, really enjoying this. I am going to now continue with learning CSS.

Thanks alot