That *&@!!! IE again

daddyalfie

I designed a nice little dropshadow to go under the header on this website: http://ww w.plainvanillagraphics.com/Kats2/index.html (Remove space in www.)

It works well in FireFox but is ignored by IE (So what else is new?)

My Background: url(img/shade.gif) repeat-x; should work. Could it be my:

that IE does'nt like?

Alfie

Man, I need a way to look at code on my phone. Can iphone do that I wonder? My dog just shatered my sceen for the second time now, so I'll be getting the iphone soon. Unfortunately I have to wait for my B-day (two more months).

Guessing, I would say JBall is spot on. Probably a "haslyout" thing...

T'was a combination of $@&** IE and &%@!! Me!

I had a mix of errors. In the index.html page I had a

but no definition whatsoever of #main in the CSS! PHRRRRRTT!

The beaueous result may be viewed at its pristine website at www. katsfam ilyhair.com (Remove spaces)

J-ball got me on a hunt and Eric gave me a cue. The shadow was hidden up underneath the "banner" in IE.

My client is happy, I am ecstatic and Eric's dog has promised me not to break any more monitors!

I should probably post this again in the "Review" forum, but any critique of the site would be most welcome.

Thanks to everybody!

Alfie

Edited by daddyalfie

Hi, glad you got it working. :) I was just working on it and I thought the problem was the no space between the url and the repeat-x. That fixed IE for me. I was also just about to post the code to put the shadow on the nav, but I see you simply put it on the #main. That's even easier! Site looks good. :)

Well, from a "Plain Vanilla" perspective I think you should lose the shadow completely. I also think the blue footer doesn't fit. It's the only blue spot on the page. You might try to incorporate the blue into the header or change the footer to black/red. The only other things I see is the text is just a bit too large and the dark text on the nav bar is hard to make out. The hover white really pops though.

Just my two cents, make of it what you will. :D

A very old fashioned looking design.

I agree with JBall, lose the shadow, it is not consistent with the rest of the site. Neither is the blue footer.

If you want to keep the shadow, I suggest adding one around the whole wrapper to make the page stand out from the grey background.

The text is too big and I do not think mixing serif with sans serif fonts works well.

I personally find the red in the header overly bright.

What they said - and, while your code validates - that:

is cheating of sorts :rolleyes:

I have some other thoughts re content as well. I know you didn't ask, but you might find I make a good point (or not).

Content like

For information regarding our CONTINUING EDUCATION courses offered by this salon, click on the "Continuing Education Courses" link near the top of this page.
makes me wonder why I first have to go up and then click - just give me a link right there (and please don't say: "click here" - I think most of the world by now knows that an underline means "Click Here") even something like "See our Continuing Education Courses offered for hair dressers." should work nicely.

The site starts out with describing the services offered to clients - haircuts and such, which is fine - it's a hair salon. But there is nothing separating that from the continued ed stuff. First I thought she was teaching her customers now to fix their own hair or something - it should be made clear that those courses are for other hairdressers - that detail could even go in the link on top - you have enough room.

Thanks all for excellent critiques!

I am particularly intrigued by the notion of the shadow popping out the whole page!

The black / red color scheme was demanded by the client and I agree, the blue is misplaced.

The type is big because I have trouble reading small print :D

Thelma: Good points! I shall re-word the "Continuing Ed" bit and have both links available.

I think I shall also play with the red logo having round corners for a softer look.

Thanks guys and gals!

Alfie

Edited by daddyalfie

The type is big because I have trouble reading small print

The type is never too big. Don't mind them saying that. You can use font size you comfortable with but organize your content using grids.

(There few links in the wiki at the bottom about grids but also Grid Designer - a tool for quick typography building.)

Edited by lm