Simple system for small group site

TimL

I have been asked to create a site for a small county arts council web site. After a bad experience with someone else I volunteered to help. They care less about what it looks like than having the ability to make updates themselves rather than having to go to a web master for content changes. This will be a static site.

So I am asking for suggestions. I am using 1&1 as host and they have several tools available but even after looking at each one it isn't clear which one will be best to work with. The broad-based CMS clients they use are Xoops, Joomla, and Serendipity plus several blog, bbs, and other less relevant apps. I have also considered WordPress but it my "clients" are less interested in a linear blog form.

I built sites with DreamWeaver 3 and FrontPage many years ago but times have changed. (I know Photoshop very well but that is less helpful here.)

Thanks,

Tim

It depends on what it needs to be used for...

I used Joomla once, and it has some good features, like a forum called 'Kunena' which is free.

Only issue is that its hard to find template for, and extremely hard to edit in my opinion :S

Also, you can add as many people as admin as you would like :)

I second the WordPress suggestion. My website (link is in my signature) is powered by WordPress. I don't think a single one of my clients (yet) has requested a blog only. They use it to power the whole entire website. You don't even have to use the blog features. And if they don't need a custom design, you can find lots of great themes out there for free or low cost that will probably work.

If you go that route, let us know and we can help you get set up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking a bit more at WordPress it seems to be the quickest to set up and easiest to explain to the novices who will be contributing.

I have also decided to create two more WordPress sites for myself. Who knows, I might actually be able to keep up better with this "new" way of thinking.

Thanks again,

Tim

Yep.

If I had to do it all over again (and if Wordpress would have been invented in the 1990's!) ... I would have based most of my web sites on Wordpress. Killersites for instance, has content that dates back to 1996 and trying to keep those old pages up to date with the new layouts, is always a pain in the butt.

... If if were based in Wordpress (or some other CMS) it would be a snap to manage the content.

Stefan