Positioning issues

donnie

I am currently taking an Intro to Web design course; this unit we are building a career page using ordered and unordered lists. We also have to apply an external CSS to our page, use the div tag where applicable, and use a horizontal rule or hr tag.

Here is my problem.

The only way I can get my hr to display underneath my content (which is in div containers inside a div wrapper) is to declare a height other than auto. But, I have to adjust this height as my content gets larger to ensure that the content doesn't flow over the hr element.

Here is my CSS

body {
background-color: #ffdfd0;
font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 18px;
color: #00008b;
line-height: 1.5em;
}

#left {
margin: 0px auto;
text-align: center;
width: 600px; 
height: 75px; 
}

/* Center content */
#container {
margin: 0px auto;
width: 1000px;  
}

#wrapper {
margin:0px auto;
width:900px;
height: 150%; /*important adjustment for spacing between content and hr element */
}

#content1 {
float: left;
width: 350px;
}

#content2 {
float: right;
width: 350px;
}

h1{
text-align: center
}

/* not in use */
#seperator{
width: 900px;
height: 20px;
}

Is there anyway I can make this to where I don't have to adjust the height every time my content increases or decreases?

here is my site: My Career Page

I'm getting an error when trying to visit your page, so I can't test and tell for sure... But I believe you'll just need to add an extra line in your CSS file:

hr { clear:both; }

In general, I try to avoid using

's because of browser styling issues -- it's hard to style them in such a way that they look consistent across all browsers.

That is silly, the HR is rarely used in any web design these days.

OK, you can place it at the bottom of the container holding the information. give it a absolute position say 5 pixels from the bottom of the container. Assuming the container is flexible and adjusts to fit the content, the HR will always stay 5 pixels from the bottom of the container, regardless of where the bottom is.

CSS is less about code as looking at the problems from a different angle, you seem to look at it from the traditional HTML tables view. If I glue a bencil 5 inches from the bottom of the box... and lift and lower the box... it will always bee 5 inches from the bottom right? ;)