CSS border not working, too much space in element

JasonDavis

Hi all,

I just finished the CSS tutorials on here. They were very helpful. I've been coding in Dreamweaver for years but am just now trying to learn to build pages from scratch in text. I'm trying to do that below, and I'm having a couple issues.

I'm using this code for my HTML:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html>
   <head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
   <title>School Climate</title>
   <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

</head>

<body>
       <div id="leftbar">

</div>       

</body>

</html>

and I'm using this code for my CSS:

#leftbar {
   position: absolute;
   width: 120 px;
   height: 100%;
   border-right: 1px solid white;
   background-color: #543a5c;  
}

body {
   background-color: #fffdee;
}

Two things are not happening as I want.

1. I'm trying to get the left bar snug up against the left side of the browser with no space showing. I've tried setting padding, border and margin all to zero, and nothing seems to change. I still see a little background between the top and left side (but not the bottom, interestingly).

2. The border-right isn't working. I'm not sure why. I had it working at one point while I was playing around, but it seems to have stopped. I increased the size to 4px to make sure I was actually able to see it, but it still wasn't there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

For starters, always put some content in your divisions - even if it's just some bogus lorem ipsem placeholder - an empty division takes up no space.

Second, browsers have default settings - specific margins and paddings, that will keep things from going 'snug up against sides'. A global zero-set of

* {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

will fix that.

Your border is showing - but the color you have set for your body background and the white border color are so close, it's not obvious on the monitor.

here, I've applied above default zero-setting and changed the background color to gray, and voila: http://aandbwebdesign.com/KSforum/border.html

works either with the * global setting or by placing it in the body section. But I notice when I put it in the leftbar section, it doesn't work. Why is that? Wouldn't it override the browser settings there as well?

The margin/padding is on the body element, so setting margin/padding to 0 on the leftbar won't do anything (by default, that should be 0 anyway.) The * character is a wildcard, so using * { margin:0; padding:0; } sets all elements (including the body) to have 0 padding/margin.

Hi again,

I can start a new thread if needed, but since you guys have been such a great resource in here, I thought I would show you my progress and ask another question.

I've uploaded my site here: http://www.wvconfidential.com/test/

The problem I'm currently having is the three purple boxes with matching divs: blog, philosophy and book. Why do they appear underneath each other? I didn't make them absolute like the other elements. So my questions are:

1. How to fix the boxes to make them side-by-side under the top bar, and

2. Am I doing things right from a CSS standpoint so far?

Thanks! Let me know if I should start a new thread since this has now deviated from the original question.