Can you please test this in IE6 for me?

PicnicTutorials

I have completed my master css page. I'm transferring my site from tables to css and my IE6 (via IE tester) gives me an error message 50% of the time and wont load the page. Can you please test on yours or better yet a native IE6? Thanks for looking! It's one of three things. 1) PIE.htc 2) too big of page in combo with PIE.htc 3) or my IE tester is thowing fits.

Test page... http://goo.gl/DEbPO

PS. Thats by far my biggest page load in the site. It has 100 images in that photo gallery. The other pages load more snappy.

Edited by Eric

I have completed my master css page. I'm transferring my site from tables to css and my IE6 (via IE tester) gives me an error message 50% of the time and wont load the page. Can you please test on yours or better yet a native IE6? Thanks for looking! It's one of three things. 1) PIE.htc 2) too big of page in combo with PIE.htc 3) or my IE tester is thowing fits.

Test page... http://goo.gl/DEbPO

PS. Thats by far my biggest page load in the site. It has 100 images in that photo gallery. The other pages load more snappy.

Hi Eric,

I had a quick looking using IE Tester,

http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage (which Ben suggested to me once)

The page looked fine. However, when it was loading I got a script error:

Line:2

Char:16069

Error: Object Expected

Code: 0

But this error might be to do with my IE settings. Don't know, I am still a novice, you probaby have a much better idea than me what it means.

But when I pressed okay, the page seemed fine.

Hope that helps in someway.

I tested it in native IE... I get a "permission denied" on "PIE.htc" (line 75, char 44). What concerns me though, (I can't really tell if this is related to the error or not) is that the left navigation below "Telescope Avenue" doesn't show.

100 pictures? Sure seems like you could get away with 10 or 20 and a visitor would get just about the same experience...

screenshot.png

I tested it in native IE... I get a "permission denied" on "PIE.htc" (line 75, char 44). What concerns me though, (I can't really tell if this is related to the error or not) is that the left navigation below "Telescope Avenue" doesn't show.

100 pictures? Sure seems like you could get away with 10 or 20 and a visitor would get just about the same experience...

screenshot.png

Ben can you please remove that link to my site in joecools post?

Uhh thats weird. Never seen the menu not show before. Ben does it show on this table version one? http://goo.gl/ysSay

And you get the PIE error uhh. Bummer. Maybe I'll finally just let ie6 die. Its still at 3.8% though. Thats prob to much for me. But thats Global. USA is prob 1 or 2%.

Ben can you please remove that link to my site in joecools post?

Already took care of that. Unless you referring to the goo.gl link?

No, that menu doesn't seem to show up in the table version either. On that page, I get an "object expected" javascript error (line 2, char 16069) In fact, the menu doesn't seem to show in IE at all, on any of the current live pages that I tested.

Already took care of that. Unless you referring to the goo.gl link?

No, that menu doesn't seem to show up in the table version either. On that page, I get an "object expected" javascript error (line 2, char 16069) In fact, the menu doesn't seem to show in IE at all, on any of the current live pages that I tested.

Thank you for taking care of that link and looking again. Doesn't show in any IE's or just IE6? Always shows in all mine and I've never had any mention of that from anyone before. Hmmm. It's about time I change out that flash embed anyways I guess.

As far as the error goes. It is loading for you though you just get the error right? If so, it might be the png fixes clashing I have on that page. I'll test others next I guess. It's never easy.

Wow. I have 69% of visitors to my site using IE. 13% on IE6, 13% on IE7, and 43% on IE8. Redicky

Ben one more thing please? So I understand correctly and know how to proceed. You get the error message in ie6 >> you push ok >> and it finishes loading right? Or does it just completely abort? Because no matter what I do I can't duplicate this on my machine again.

Also. Ben your on a mac uh? Your ie6 too? Here is the same page but using the flash satay method instead. http://goo.gl/CUhhc Does this menu show in your IE6?

I tried to use the JS methods but they are are very slow to show the menu.

...and here is the test page where the menu failed to load in IE6 Windows via browsershots and the menu seems alive and well. http://api.browsershots.org/png/original/57/5793fba07c117bfe90fd3bf921b7c079.png

Edited by Eric

OK, so I'm looking at the new page, http://goo.gl/CUhhc

I currently get a javascript error regarding the PIE.htc file -- "permission denied" again, and I'm noticing PNG transparency issues. This error doesn't stop the page from loading though.

I did just realize why the menu isn't showing up... I'm running a fresh install of XP with IE6, and I didn't have Flash installed. Sorry! I didn't realize the menu was Flash until your second to last post above... I thought it would be javascript rollover-based. Once I installed Flash, everything worked as expected (besides the javascript error I mentioned above.)

No problem. Thanks for looking again that's helpful. The png issues are only because I have not uploaded the updated CSS file. Ok so you get the error but it still loads. Ok I can prob live with that. Using images for the shadow and round corners is very easy I just want to use css3 dammit! moz box shadow in fx 3.6 also slows the page badly. Used to do this to webkit also but they recently fixed it. I assume fx 4.0 will fix the issue too. Ie9 will be out soon and they support css3. So in one year css3 will native in 80% of browser usage or so. Just thinking out loud. But that dam 13% ie6 users to my site is crazy.

Ben, the Developer of PIE.htc is a very dedicated guy who is willing to track down this error for me/him. He has a native IE version so with some luck I should be able to resolve this. He has asked that I upload a new test page with the PIE_uncompressed.htc version - which I did. Ben (or anyone with a native IE6) can you pretty please with sugar on top test this again for me and give my the line # of the error and the version # of your IE6? Thanks a bunch! Uncompressed test page. http://goo.gl/0QF4t

Edited by Eric

The developer said that that wasn't the uncompressed version. He is basing that off the error (line 2 character 1856 (or something)). That last test page (ietest.html) was linking to the uncompressed so your guess is as good as mine. "maybe" it was the same named file and your cache wasn't cleared. I thought is was a different name though than the other tests but maybe I was wrong. I think I've decided to the go the images path anyway but I like to see things through.