Just a question...

Serendipity545

Hello everyone who will take out their time to read this!

I'm a teenager, trying to build a website for my Girl Scout Gold award, and though I'm taking classes and online tutorials and the like, I have yet to come across how to set up a website that allows for people to sign up for accounts.

Such as this one, where I had to create a penname, give my email, etc. I need such a function for my website, but I'm at a loss on where to find either a lesson on it, or how to do it.

If anyone could please point me in the right direction, that would be very helpful.

Edited by Serendipity545

I intend for the accounts to serve a dual purpose

I'm creating a carpooling directory for my middle school, and the website would contain a directory of all after school sports, when pick up should be, and what parents are free to drive kids home. The website will contain a list of all the parents' emails and that information should be kept private, so I want anyone who views the website to have to put in a password that allows them to enter the site.

The closest example I can find for what I'm describing would be this page: http://www.mountaincreek.com/employees_only/gate.htm?passthru=true&referer=%2Femployees%5Fonly%2FIndex%2Ehtm

I also want them to have an account because I intend to set up a forum much like this one, so parents can have more direct interaction, in addition to being to email other parents at their discretion.

I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot if what I'm describing is impossible, and thank you for taking your time to respond.

I think jlhaslip has a point, I think most forum software allows a general area from the main username and password and also secondary group folders with further login so that could be restricted to parents.

It's worth looking at a few like phpBB3. All the software is bundled up for a simple installation, but setting up the boards and admin does take some thought (as Stefan found out with this new forum).

Additional add-ons for extra security from spammers are always necessaryy and spammers are the main problem with forum software.

This page says phpBB3 has password protected forums

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

which means additional usernames and passwords besides the basic login as far as I know, but my forum is phpBB2 which doesn't have it.

However, there are better forums than phpBB3 according to some people, so it's worth looking at others.

Edited by Wickham

Fixed that link up there.

Yes, by setting the Forum Categories and permissions correctly, a non-registered user could be allowed to view certain area, but a Registered and logged-in user could view even more areas. (the Kids could view the General info, the parents could view the driving stuff)

Fixed that link up there.

Yes, by setting the Forum Categories and permissions correctly, a non-registered user could be allowed to view certain area, but a Registered and logged-in user could view even more areas. (the Kids could view the General info, the parents could view the driving stuff)

That's what we have here with one board for admin hidden from the general public, but it isn't controlled by a separate username and password, it's controlled by the Administrator who sets permissions.

PhpBB3 seems to have gone a stage further in that some forums can be password protected by another level of passwords.