Billing Overseas Clients

jp612

I just got a client who is based overseas. Whats the best method of billing? I like Paypal is that a good idea?

Also if I charge upfront, what gives the client piece of mind? How can they protect their initial deposit and be sure that I don't run off with it?

on the flip side, if I do some work for a client how can I be sure that I will receive my payment? I obviously don't want to have to charge every 3 minutes.

Since a email quote/agreement can be a legally binding contract. Can that help protect me if the client is in a different country?

So in essence whats a good quoting and billing strategy in this scenario?

I just got a client who is based overseas. Whats the best method of billing? I like Paypal is that a good idea?

Also if I charge upfront, what gives the client piece of mind? How can they protect their initial deposit and be sure that I don't run off with it?

on the flip side, if I do some work for a client how can I be sure that I will receive my payment? I obviously don't want to have to charge every 3 minutes.

Since a email quote/agreement can be a legally binding contract. Can that help protect me if the client is in a different country?

So in essence whats a good quoting and billing strategy in this scenario?

I recently had a client in Latvia who wanted a museum quality reproduction of one of my paintings he had seen on my website.

The reproduction cost about $200 and I only charged $50 for my troubles. Paypal worked extremely well and he payed up front with no qualms.

Other than that, like Andrea said, 1/3's is a usual method and you may have to rely on good faith and some knowledge of the client. As to legal resources, I just don't know! Maybe a call to that nations embassy would clear up any questions?

I recently had a client in Latvia who wanted a museum quality reproduction of one of my paintings he had seen on my website.

The reproduction cost about $200 and I only charged $50 for my troubles. Paypal worked extremely well and he payed up front with no qualms.

Other than that, like Andrea said, 1/3's is a usual method and you may have to rely on good faith and some knowledge of the client. As to legal resources, I just don't know! Maybe a call to that nations embassy would clear up any questions?

Sounds like a good idea. I had a look at the paypal security center and apparently they have alot of buyer and seller dispute assistance etc. So for legal concerns i guess they can help out.

I but I think billing in 1/3 is good idea especially if its the first time working with the client. Thanks!