Which order...

Guest Kinojii

Guest Kinojii

I am curious, if you want to become a webmaster or a similar position, what scripts you should learn and in what order. Right now I know HTML/XHTML and also CSS. I have looked at multiple PHP guides, but for some reason I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I mean I get the basics and I understand how it works when they show me an example, but if I try make something myself, it just doesn't work as I want it to. I would take classes, but unfortunately my high school only offers the very basic HTML courses, which I already know.

If you could give me advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

It really just depends on what you are interested in... Once you have a strong understanding of HTML/CSS, here are some options:

-- Javascript

-- jQuery or another javascript framework

-- PHP / MySQL

-- Learn a CMS, like Wordpress, CMS Made Simple, etc.

-- Learn a Ecommerce Framework, like Magento (something I am working on at the moment)

-- Learn how to theme a forum (PHPBB, PunBB, etc )

-- Learn or improve design/Photoshop knowledge

It is definitely helpful to have knowledge of a dynamic programing language like PHP or ASP, so I'd probably start there, at least to get a basic understanding and be able to write some stuff on your own. Have you taken a look at http://www.phpvideotutorials.com? They have some useful courses that step you through making a full application, which can be helpful if you need somewhere to go after learning the basic commands. Also, keep an eye on Nettuts.com, since they offer useful articles/screencasts on web development topics.