CMS installation error

catfish

I have been struggling to do a fresh installation of CMS made simple (any version on this iPage host) Each time I get the same error message on the second screen of the install. I have been working with CMSms for a couple of years now and was thinking how well it was going now, understanding more and more etc. etc... I have just installed the latest version for myself on one host without a hitch and for a client on another host (iPage)but get the following message each time. Have even tried later versions. I phoned the host and they can't seem to help me. I wondered if anyone can help me.

Session not working, you have problem with some modules and functionality! Ask your provider, exiting!

Thankyou Ben for your reply. I have read every post in the cmsms forum and it's mostly greek to me. I'm sure it is the host but I can't explain myself well enough or their support people aren't knowledgeable enough to help. Not sure what I can do other than switch hosts. It seems to me that the host meets all the requirements though. Like I said, I just installed the same version just days ago on another host with no problems

Question/Problem

Configuring: Running PHP sessions

On the iPage website there is a solution posted which I don't understand. I found my home directory path but I don't know where to put it. This is what it says...

To run PHP sessions, include the following code at the top of any PHP script that uses sessions:

session_save_path("your home directory path"/cgi-bin/tmp);

session_start();

•To find "your home directory path":

1.Log into the PHP Scripting page for actual path to your home directory.

2.Replace "your home directory path" with the path shown.

•Set session_save_path to a directory within your cgi-bin: either /cgi-bin/tmp as in the example above or another directory as long as the absolute path is correct.

Are you sure your home directory path is set correctly? Have you double checked with your host about what that path is?

I think you could probably test this. Create a test.php file. Start with these contents:

<?php

session_start();
echo "test";

?>

I believe that should give you a blank page or an error of some kind, assuming I understand the issue correctly.

Then, try your fix:

<?php
session_save_path("your home directory path"/cgi-bin/tmp); //update the home directory path, obviously
session_start();
echo "test";

?>

And see if that works. This way, you can test to see if the fix works without CMSMS.

I took the quotation marks out and this time I just got a blank page. When I added that path to the include.php page where you said to I tried it with and without quotation marks??

I know it needs to be without quotation marks. But there is still a chance that maybe you've gotten the path wrong. Try this (in your test.php) file:

<?php
ini_set('display_errors', '1');
error_reporting(E_ALL);

session_save_path(/home/users/web/b78/ipg.leonidblue/cgi-bin/tmp);
session_start();
echo "test";

?>

That should give you an error message, rather than a blank page... (I hope, anyway. It's hard to tell without me doing this myself. ;) )

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. It looks like you are getting a generic 500 server error: http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E500.html. It doesn't really tell you what is going on though.

I would check with your host and make sure the path you are using is correct. If that is correct though, it seems like using session_save_path() isn't going to be a fix for this CMSMS issue. Assuming ipage support isn't very helpful, you may need to consider switching hosts.

Hey, so I just talked to the host again and I had a cgi bin missing which we created then after a couple of attempts I got past that page and got this error message;

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/', expecting ')' in /hermes/bosweb/web007/b78/ipg.leonidblue/include.php on line 31

using the path without the quotation marks so I thought I would try without the quotations and I got to the Thanks for installing CMS Made Simple but with the following error at the top of that page, any idea what that means?

Warning: Division by zero in /hermes/bosweb/web007/b78/ipg.leonidblue/include.php on line 31

Warning: Division by zero in /hermes/bosweb/web007/b78/ipg.leonidblue/include.php on line 31

What's on line 31? Your session_save_path() line? the "/" is the division operator, so if you have this:

session_save_path("/home/users/web/b78/ipg.leonidblue"/cgi-bin/tmp);

The first section within the quotations is interpreted as a string, the opening "/" is interpreted as a division operator, and then PHP doesn't know how to interpret the rest. I think you'll just need to trust me on this -- you can't have the quotations within that function.

So, it sounds like you finished the installation process, correct? And you can view the CMSMS front-end, just with that error?

What happens when you try to view the front-end using "session_save_path(/home/users/web/b78/ipg.leonidblue/cgi-bin/tmp);"?

You get the "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/', expecting ')'" error?

You might try using

session_save_path(home/users/web/b78/ipg.leonidblue/cgi-bin/tmp);

(no opening "/" before "home" but that's just an experiment. Often debugging is simply a string of experiments until you get the result you are looking for. :)

Man oh Man! I tried every which way possible and finally thought I would try a new include.php file from my other download and all is fine now. I appreciate all the time you have spent with me again. In the end I'm not sure what happened but maybe that missing cgi bin folder??? I am sorry :rolleyes: