What CMS to use?

perryc

Hello everybody im trying to figure out what content management system to use right now im currently taking a class in college on joomla right now, but was not sure if word-press would be better for a graphic design website i planed on making right now.

Thanks,

Cody Perry

I think it just depends on the functionality you need. If the site is going to be simple or needs only basic functionality, using Joomla (or even Wordpress) might be overkill. If it's super simple, there are simple CMSs out there (CushyCMS, Surreal CMS, Perch, MojoMotor.) Wordpress is a more fully featured option, which has pretty good support and extendability with plugins, and there are also other CMSs that people like -- CMS Made Simple, ModX, Concrete5 and more complex options (but offer more functionality and extendability) like Joomla, Drupal, ExpressionEngine, etc.

I like Wordpress, but make sure you do your research and check that it has the features you need. I definitely like it for blogs, but I find the actual CMS functionality is still a bit of a work in progress (again, this depends on the features you need.) It keeps getting better with every version, but keep that in mind.

You might want to take a look at http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?pagenumber=1 - it offers lists of popular CMSs and demos so you can look around.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...