image background repeat problems in ie

buddhaman1

i am new to this forum but not new to web deign. i am designing in html. please contact me about the background showing through on ie 7 and 8 but not in firefox 3 the url is:

http://w ww.nurturewith nature.com/newsite/files/inte ntion/intention-nurture-with-nature.html

all images in adjacent td's add up to 543 pixel height so there shouldn't be areas showing any backrounds or background images where they are not supposed to be.

thanks so much

kevin

ps - i hope that i have added the right spaces so that the page i am referring is not considered a link

Edited by buddhaman1

If you look at the bottom of the left side you will see that there is space between one block of text and the lowest block of text in Firefox but very little space in IE7 (where the image shows).

This could be because IE has greater font size and spacing between paragraphs than Firefox so it's using more height and expanding the td tags in height so the proper background image has not got enough height.

Try reducing the amount of text and see if the problem goes away.

You will have difficulty using tables; it would be preferable to recode the page using divs and CSS but this will take some time. Alternatively you could try to set p tag top and bottom margins, font sizes and line-heights so that they are the same in IE and Firefox but it may not be enough if you have the td tags completely full of text.

Edit: I cut out a large amount of text in the main block of text lower left which has the background-image showing underneath and it did reduce the amount of image showing.

Edited by Wickham

If you are not new to web design, I would suggest you learn CSS. For the moment you are using tables and mixing inline and external css.

I do not work with tables as I find the code very messy and heavy in the html page. I suggest you check, especially if you are using DW, that you have set cellpadding and cellspacing to 0 in all your tables.

thank you so much for your input.

i have set all of my tables values to 0. what i did is just reduce the size of the table height by bringing it up a bit. and voila!

do you know of a good web site for getting me up to speed at CSS? i have been wanting to start design sites with CSS but thought it might be too complicated and take too long to learn. is this true?

kevin :)

i am also wondering why the text in the first table row is not spanning the entire td cell as it does in FF? the text is pushed over to the right quite a bit as if it has a margin or indent.

also, i have noticed that my navigation text, in the top right of the page, does not show the original link colour in CSS but instead shows the links as though they are visited. FF and google chrome show it correct.

thanks

kevin

There are some useful links for tutorials and other sites here:-

http://w ww.wickham43.net/links.php

The text at the top left is in a td tag 290px wide and there is an image on the left of it photo-box.png while the table is 500px wide.

http://www.nurturewithnature.com/newsite/images/intention/photo-box.png

which is just a blue panel with nothing in it or on it. Firefox and IE7 both show the text to the right of it. The main block of text below is in a td tag colspan="2" which it should be to cover the combined width of the image and text above.

I can't see anything wrong with your link colors, they all show the normal, visited and hover colors for me. The link (normal) color is blue and the visited is purple and the hover is pink. Perhaps they show the visited color because you have visited those pages! They may show differently in other browsers because you have NOT visited the other pages with those browsers. Your codes look correct (you could add a:active and a:focus if you wanted to.).

Edited by Wickham

You should also use a validator and fix any errors - right now, you have 25 and several of them are due to missing end or opening tags.

# Error Line 73, Column 17: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: tr line 33 and td.

?

# Error Line 75, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: table line 19 and tr.

?

# Error Line 96, Column 8: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 18 and table.

?

# Error Line 97, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: html line 2 and body.