Further to my query in the "Introduce Yourself" thread

mzsade

Re: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/4380-hi-all-and-happy-birthday-larry-f/page__pid__22138#entry22138

Thank you for your hospitality, but I would like to rephrase my query and replace “..it would take me..” with “..it would take one..”, also add more detail.

1) You don't have to be so formal and non-committal, by all means feel free to hazard a guess on the basis of your own experience and those case studies that you know of, I won't hold you to it <_< ..as to the case studies, if none exist then I hereby volunteer to be the subject of one in which only your tutorials, and help are utilized, and the successful test result would be one where the subject, that would be me if there's no one else, is able to apply for a web designing job..again, only as generally agreed by web designing professionals in the matter of questions asked at interviews..and not be laughed at outright at the interview. You already know that I am a beginner and have been using a computer (incidentally OS: LMDE) only since the last 4 years or so, and am willing to spend 4 hours daily studying, no I take that back, make it 2 hours. Every week or so..you decide the interval..I would post the link of the page up to which I will have covered the tutorial and any experienced member of the forum could quiz me on the topics therein, hopefully, the administrators and moderators would step in to adjudge, and correct, and tell the subject if he is going too slow or too fast as per their standard, when the need arose..the result would be, like a killersites.com/community/testyourself page, yeah, let's make a project out of it, say when! Not today please...

2) Details of Profile:

a) Age and period since having last acquired a formal certificate in any discipline: 48 and 25 years respectively. I mention these because I read somewhere of a study that correlates these to the time taken to learn, for e.g. a new language or to understand new concepts in mathematics; especially as in the matter of their effect on the ability to muster the dedication and concentration required, and the inductively established physiological limitations of the human brain itself..vaguely remember reading something about it, don't remember where or when, see what i mean?

b.) At present, very short attention span and lack of focus, because of lack of practice in using the faculties for a proper study of any discipline since ages. It is hoped that there shall be an improvement in this that could be indicated by the speed of progress in the tutorial.

Regards,

mzsade

PS: There's another online case study like I would like to volunteer for as a subject, that correlates the use of marijuana or alcohol, or both, with their effect on the sense of aesthetics, physical and mental equilibrium, and social behavior, but I don't think you would be interested in that :lol: .

Please excuse my presumption of familiarity, we Indians are a very “touchy-feely” people, can't help it, it's a cultural thing..remember Raj of the big bang theory? :D

Edited by Andrea
No need to deactivate Killersites links

Ahh okay then :lol:

Well, i am 15, and i only started website designing about 1 or 2 months ago, and i know basic HTML and CSS, a small amount(very small) of Javascript, and im going to attempt to learn PHP soon.

The only issue i have is that i never know what i want my website to look like, or i never reach my drawn design...

So basically, age doesn't matter, and im not disciplined whatsoever, so that doesn't matter...

If you enjoy learning something new, it wont take you long at all :)

Good luck ^_^

Ahh okay then :lol:

Well, i am 15, and i only started website designing about 1 or 2 months ago, and i know basic HTML and CSS, a small amount(very small) of Javascript, and im going to attempt to learn PHP soon.

The only issue i have is that i never know what i want my website to look like, or i never reach my drawn design...

So basically, age doesn't matter, and im not disciplined whatsoever, so that doesn't matter...

If you enjoy learning something new, it wont take you long at all :)

Good luck ^_^

Thank you, senior Comrade, i shall look to you for further guidance, and feedback as to my progress, starting tomorrow, as per my resolution to learn anew. :)

Edit: Not being snarky or anything like that, re: your age, please believe me, am only gushingly respectful of your relative proficiency.

In my case, I started building websites in early 2004, and got my first full-time job in mid 2007. I'm not sure if I am a good example though - it was originally a hobby of mine (something I did only in spare time), not necessarily something that I planned to make a career when I first started. By the time I was hired, I had built up a small portfolio of client work and I had example projects I could present as sample work.

I think you are looking at 6 months to a year of learning before you are ready to start looking for a job. As I said earlier though, that depends on a huge number of factors, including on the exact needs of employers and the sort of expectations they have. I'm not sure where you are based, but the job market probably will determine the skills you need to acquire. Some may be looking a very small skill set (with probably low pay to go with it) some may be looking for a much wider skill set - just depends on the employer. At the very least, I'd expect that you'd need to have a solid understanding of HTML/CSS, how to deal with inconsistencies between browsers, be able to work with Photoshop, and have at least a beginner's understanding of Javascript/PHP.

Web design is something that is easy to start but hard to master, especially since technology is constantly changing. Just in the past three years I have been working in the field, there have been a wide range of changes:

-- HTML5/CCS3

-- rise of jQuery and other Javascript libraries

-- increased use of PHP frameworks and CMSs

-- reduced use of Flash (depends on who you ask and the type of website of course)

-- rise of social networking type sites (and thus client's expectations about what they can do with social media)

-- rise of Firefox and other alternative browsers over Internet Explorer

-- etc etc

Every week or so..you decide the interval..I would post the link of the page up to which I will have covered the tutorial and any experienced member of the forum could quiz me on the topics therein, hopefully, the administrators and moderators would step in to adjudge, and correct, and tell the subject if he is going too slow or too fast as per their standard, when the need arose..the result would be, like a killersites.com/community/testyourself page, yeah, let's make a project out of it, say when!

Not to shoot this idea down entirely, but keep in mind that most of the regular members here are pretty busy with personal lives/work/etc. I can really only speak for myself on this, since I don't want to speak for other regulars here, but I personally don't really have the time to do this sort of thing - coming up with quizzes, making sure you stay on track, etc. I'm happy to help out with questions in the forum, but it almost sounds like you'd be better off taking a university-level basic HTML/CSS course if you need this sort of interaction/quizzing.

If you are looking for a place to get started though, I'd take a look at http://killersites.com/university/ and sign up for a 3 month membership. I would start out with the "Web Design 1: HTML and CSS" videos. That's how I got started a couple years ago.

Thank you, Ben for all the time you took, and danhodge, you have got a 2 month start on me and you already know HTML and CSS, that certainly makes you a senior as far as i am concerned. Don't you guys worry, i won't be pestering you, or the other members unless i am stuck somewhere, you have given me enough to go on.