Tell me I'm not going mad?

youngros

We had the thread from Ben about websites needing a redesign, well I should have kept stumm, but you know how it is.:/

The wesite in question is ww w.baubles bangles and beads.co.uk

The original post says I am getting visitors but I'm not getting any feedback.

Several pages on they say:- "I have done several updates on the site over the last few days and have now got rid of all the bugs" this is after I have suggested using the validator to show all the errors!!

Then I see:-

I've updated some of the site today and I've also had a look at it with internet explorer and it's fine.

The only thing bothering me is that the table is showing in internet explorer and it shouldn't be.

So my response is (sorry it is long!!)

The reason that the table is showing in IE7 and also in Opera, is that IE7 doesn't understand what you are trying to do.

Think of it in terms of the grammar and syntax we use in our own language, now if you put a comma in the wrong place you can alter the meaning altogether. Lynne Truss wrote a book on the subject called Eats Shoots and Leaves, where you put the comma depends on the meaning. Most of the time you can guess at what the meaning is, but not always. Browsers pretty much try to do the same, but miss something important and your page doesn't look like you want it to.

Now you can tell me to mind my own business and go away, but I do know more than the average person about HTML coding, it is something I do.

You can completely ignore me when I suggest that you look at w3c schools for tutorials, they will show you what are deprecated tags and attributes, some of which you are using, A deprecated tag is one that has been superceded by others. Their support cannot be guaranteed, so it is best not to use them.

You have said before that you have a disability, many of us do, I hav sight problems, so for me sites have to have good colour contrast and use the correct font. Web sites usually use sans serif fonts, the most common being Verdana, they also use Arial. Serif fonts such as Times New Roman are for printed text, although it is usually the default font for browsers. Italics for some are difficult to read and should be avoided, unless for emphasis. Font size is also important.

If you want to listen to advice that will help you, then you will find that the symbol * is useless in HTML and that you may be miscopying something. Also if you remove colspan it will make no difference to your code.

should read and the closing tags are missing for your menu table and also from you products table.

I have no problems in helping you through with your code, as long as you are prepared to accept friendly, free advice. After all your message heading is "advice please"

The response was "I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry Rosalind."

Do I just give up and say nothing or do I follow it up with, no, you don't know what you are talking about either?:D

Actually, reading your post for the third time, I havent got a clue what exactly you asking about.

If you quote somebody, please use a quote tags ( see the icons above the post msg box).

What I'm guessing is that somebody was trying to give you advice on coding and you didnt understand what this person is trying to say?

So, to summarize, you sent an email with advice/critique on how they should code their site, and they responded with "I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry Rosalind."?

And your question is, how should you proceed?

I'd say leave it alone. If a site will need significant work (as in, a full redesign/recoding) it's really not worth giving your advice unless they are going to pay you for it. Often, those sites are in that state because the person doesn't understand the value of a site, or thinks if it looks OK in IE it will be ok for all their visitors. Trying to convince them otherwise or make the corrections for them will end up sucking away your time. It's quite possible that the person who originally designed and coded the site and the person who is now in charge of keeping it updated are different people, and the person who is doing the upkeep knows very little about HTML.

The response to your email seemed to indicate that the person on the other end doesn't really understand HTML, or at least are confused by the technicalities of what you brought up. It doesn't sound like they are saying you don't know what you are talking about, just that they aren't very technical and don't understand the critique.