I NEED HELP WITH META TAGS

conzy22

Hi friends,

I am putting description, keyword and robot metta tags on each page of the website I am working on.

I noticed when I go to search on google: I use one of the keywords for her "booklet" page alongside the title of her business.

The booklet page does not show up in the results, so I don't know if the search engine has read her description for that page in the meta tag.

Does it take a few days/weeks before the search engine will recognize this new information in meta tags.

I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time putting meta tags on each page if it won't give me and my client the results we are looking for.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jahara:rolleyes:

I wouldn't say you are completely wasting your time, but just be aware that meta tags have very little to do with search engine ranking. While they had a lot of impact a couple years ago, they aren't as important now, mainly because search engines are giving them less emphasis, and placing a larger focus on quality content.

As far as how long it takes for search engines to recognize the new information, I am not exactly sure -- it will depend how often the Google spider visits your site. If you have a Google Webmaster Tools account (http://www.google.com/webmasters/) you should have a pretty good idea about when your site was last spidered and when roughly is the next time it will be looked at.

That said, just because the spider takes a look at it doesn't necessarily mean it will change your search engine ranking.

• 2 weeks later...

A far as I know, nearly all search engines rely very little on meta tags -- they are too easily faked.

Realistically, the best way to improve your rankings is to produce consistent, quality content. In my experience, it's less about "tricking" the search engines, and more about providing them the information they look for. What are they looking for? Sites that will be relevant to the search terms, that include well written and consistently updated content.

There are two important ingredients in SE ranking. #1 Quality/Unique content. #2 Inbound links. The higher the rank of the other site that links to you the bigger impact they have. I don't know this one for sure, but I'd venture to say that the amount of traffic you get has to to have some influence - it should at least...