Killersites wants your opinion!!

administrator

Hi,

It always good to get other peoples opinion on things. So in the spirit of the coming new year, is there anything in killersites that sucks or is there something that you think is missing? I appreciate all feedback ... especially new ideas and criticisms!!

:)

As someone I know used to say: "... Yes-men are useless!"

Thanks and merry Xmas - if applicable.

;)

Stefan

I don't have anything to complain about either. Maybe come up with a way to allow users to set their own theme colors or maybe have more templates to choose from? I mean, have one for red, one for blue, orange, etc.

Otherwise, it's fine.

... I'm guessing it is the forum theme.

How about the video library for example? I am about to take another look at it to see if we can organize the content a little better. Maybe some of you may see some holes in the content perhaps?

... Any video topics you might be interested in?

Stef

- Might be nice to have anchor links to each of the major sections so we can link directly to specific sections: members.php#php for example

- Might also be nice to have an RSS feed or similar, so users could be notified when new videos are added. Plus I could show a list of recent videos in the sidebar that pull from the feed.

For the forum theme you mean?

Yes. Basicaly whatever theme they choose give them a color selection for that particular them such as red, blue, burgandy, gold, etc. Although I love green, not everyone does. If I had the choice of navy blue I would probably use that especially if I ever get tired of the same look.

Not much else I can think of. I think the current KS site is great.

I'm aware of that but I don't like the other two :unsure: which why i brought the suggestion to duplicate the themes and apply different colors for each then you have a lot more choices.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. I just like to get a navy blue version of the one I am using now.

Did anyone ever use the chat facility? I can't find it now, but the few times I looked, no one was online.

With the old format there was a board for Advanced users where we could post privately, perhaps about other users. I know I'm not a moderator and perhaps there is a separate board for Stefan and Ben, but would you consider resurrecting that?

Did anyone ever use the chat facility? I can't find it now, but the few times I looked, no one was online.

With the old format there was a board for Advanced users where we could post privately, perhaps about other users. I know I'm not a moderator and perhaps there is a separate board for Stefan and Ben, but would you consider resurrecting that?

Are you talking about a board that only advanced members can post and read?

Stefan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest It'sMeAgain

Hi

Not sure if my opinion is to late or not. I've not been here for quite sometime as I've changed my course of study to Canine Psychology :) but I do have something I would like to say. It is one of critisum but hopefully you can change it.

I have seen several people usually newbies ask a question to have it answered by "advanced members" in a rude and unfriendly manner. They question why the question is being asked (that's happened to me also) and you can feel how defensive they become. I've seen one woman made to look stupid and her work picked to pieces and in the end said she wouldn't be back again.

Steph you sent an email to members a few days ago saying "Don't be afraid to ask questions as that's how you learn". In order for people to do so you need to make sure those answering are nice, polite and friendly.

Sandy

It's hard to address what you're talking about without seeing the actual incidence - but I often pick things apart, not to make anybody look stupid, but to point out mistakes and explain how things can get done better. If I do something wrong, I certainly would like to be told -how else can I learn?

I tried to find the thread where you were asked why you asked and couldn't - do you have the link?

Steph you sent an email to members a few days ago saying "Don't be afraid to ask questions as that's how you learn". In order for people to do so you need to make sure those answering are nice, polite and friendly.

Sandy

A good point.

I trust the senior members on the forum implicitly, so I don't police things. That said, let's all try to be patient. If people are getting so turned off to leave ... that might be telling us something - especially if it happens more than once.

Stefan

Now that has been a description of me many times, now I don't know if I was involved in the case you mention and I have been quiet of late, but it all depends on many things. The tone of the newbie? Does the newbie look like a serious member or a spammer/scavenger? That alone can set tone.

Also what is expected and how is friendliness defined?

I am quick with a joke to those I know, beginners can easily misunderstand that humor.

But in the end, the major issue is time. I only surf at work and avoid it at home. Si I am not one for small talk. I say what I think in accurate and hopefully quick manner. I am not interested in socializing or fluff, I have things to do. I am often told I come across as rude. But my info is usually good and that is what they wanted. Some people come here and want to talk or socialize, I come here to help and then move on.

I have a standing apology to those who think I treated them rudely... I am here to help, not chit chat. Sorry.

I have seen several people usually newbies ask a question to have it answered by "advanced members" in a rude and unfriendly manner. They question why the question is being asked (that's happened to me also) and you can feel how defensive they become. I've seen one woman made to look stupid and her work picked to pieces and in the end said she wouldn't be back again.

If you notice anything, you can always report it to Stefan or I, and we can help out if need be. (Assuming you aren't talking about anything I said. :blink::P )

Being rude isn’t good at all, but at the same time, most beginner questions can be answered by them looking through the older posts or just using Google. So I can understand the frustration from the Adv Members who have seen the same question 100+ times.

-Abai

I know I'm a bit direct, but I'm not here to play nice but to help where I can. I get frustrated when I told someone the same thing 3 times and they won't listen but come back with the same issues that would be fixed had they paid attention. And if "picking apart' means pointing out mistakes or bad practices and suggesting how to do things better, then I will keep doing that.

And the 'why would you ask that' comment, I believe was a response (not mine) to one or our one-lining, spammish-looking members - in my eyes fully justified.

I get frustrated when I told someone the same thing 3 times and they won't listen but come back with the same issues that would be fixed had they paid attention.

I hear that!!

;)

I just had a thought, if any of you see a consistent question that could use a video, please feel free to make a suggestion. If we could build a collection of FAQ forum videos (and post them to a new category) we could save people a lot of time.

Let me know,

Stef

You might do a video about how to link files giving various examples. One of the most difficult for newbies is adding a file path from one folder pointing to another. Example:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../../css/global.css">

You could also do a video to educate newbies on what they shouldn't do/use when it comes to building websites such as obsolete <font> tags, too many or improper use of <br> tags, using <div> tags as a way to making paragrahs, all css inlined or emedded, or adding water to your flower pot that is sitting on top of your CPU, etc. Ok..the last one doesn't really have anything to do with website but you see me point. :)

Edited by Eddie

@Eddie,

I agree with your suggestions. So much so, I've made these videos in the past .. I will have to dig them up thoug

:)

Some thing about the extensions issue, I think I mention that in a video as well. I think I will put together a set of Top 10 beginners tips ... or something like that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stef

Everyone and their brother has top ten lists... Make it the top 11, 13, 14, 16,17,18,19 or so, Top 10, Top 12 , Top 15, Top 20, Top 25 are just too Passe'. Let us be "Special" as the SNL Church Lady would say.

biggrin.gif