Table Not Lining Up

Karen

Hello, everyone!

I'm an intermediate web designer who has been in business for over a year. I'm taking Stefan's web design course to pick up stuff I haven't learned and add to my knowledge base. This is my first post... I'm neither a beginner nor advanced, so I had a hard time deciding where to post.

Here's my problem: I have a page designed using CSS, but I have information that needs rows and columns, so I placed it in a table. I have checked, double checked, and everything else I can think of, up to and including deleting the table and remaking it from scratch, but some of the information is still not in line... on the top row, of course! Each cell is set up using left and top alignment, and everything looks fine in Dreamweaver, but browser previews (in several browsers) still have it out of line. Any thoughts? Is there a better way for me to organize this information? Here's the URL: http://hathawaytower.com/listings.html

Thanks so much in advance!!

Karen

Hey, Karen!

I just opened it using your link, and that page, as well as the others, looks great! It's all perfectly aligned as 4 columns, with the "For Sale" and "For Rent" centered. This is a wide-screen monitor at work - could that make a difference (still learning a lot of this)?

Not much help, I guess, but at least you know it's working somewhere!

Have a great afternoon, and God bless!

Cowboy

Actually the top line is not displaying correctly which pushes all the subsequent content down.

First of all, never believe what Dreamweaver is showing you, it is just a visual aid to help you grab hold of a tag without having to wade through the code. Believe what you see in Firefox, that will show you exactly what you have coded.

Re your problem, you have put a p tag within the td cell, the p tag has a top and bottom margin of 1em so it is being pushed down. Remove the p tag. To give space around the text in your table, you can add padding to the tr tag

Edited by virtual

No worries, I only fire those who REFUSE to listen to anything - and even they get a few warnings, first

Whew! I'm glad I listen to you because we are moving back to Texas come January. Getting fired and being in the same state could cause quite a ripple! :D

Edited by Eddie

Ah yes...the Alamo. My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt on the Riverwalk back in 2006. We are able to walk around downtown for everything except the Missions and the Market. We've been there 3 times now and we are ready to visit here again in the near future.

I heard they extended the Riverwalk?

Thank you so much!! I have looked at it over and over and hadn't noticed that <p>. I guess you miss stuff when you look at it for too long. I found it in another cell, too, and was able to remove it. All fixed! I'm sure I'll be back here when I have more issues! Thanks again!

Karen