Java Script Auto update field within a form

gazdzid

GIVEN:

A form has 2 fields and a button. If a default date appears in field "A" then press update_button onclick action calls function that adds 7 days to the default date and result is returned to field "B". My JavaScript works great.

if I click the form field "A" (default date) a calendar will pop-up so that the default date can be changed. I change the default date then I click update_button onclick action calls function that adds 7 days to the newly selected date and result is returned to field "B". My JavaScript works great.

Question:

How can I have field "B" immediately updated when chages are made to field "A" without using an update button. Currently, my Update button calls the function with an onclick=upDate('dateOne', 'dateTwo')

Edited by gazdzid

There's no ajax here, since the browser won't be talking to the server inbetween page requests. This can, and should be handled with pure javascript.

If you're not using a framework (pure javascript), you could use the onchange event rather than using the onClick event.

My preferred solution would be to use the jQuery UI datepicker; it allows you to easily specify a callback function when a date is selected. In this case, the callback function would figure out the new date and update field 'B' for you.

You can check out the Datepicker here.

Hello monkeysaurus and team,

Thank you for your kind reply and the onchange suggestion. Some success was observed but need a little more assistance

Given:

1. I currently have within the tags for Field "A" I have onclick="ds_sh3(this) which is an original Calendar function. (calendar works)

2. I have added onchange="upDate('date3', 'date4') to add 7 days and returns result to field "B". (onhange doesnot trigger)

Note: Field "A" Calendar works however onchange was not triggered Field "B" remained blank.

Next Steps:

3. Removed onclick="ds_sh3(this) which is the calendar function

4. Manually changed date in field "A" onchange triggers Field "B" displays new date +7 days (cool)

Conclusion

onchange does become active if the change in a field is generated via function

Question

Sorry to say that I am not familiar with jQuery UI but can I still use JavaSript fuction to select a date for Field "A" and have the fuction that adds 7 days automatically triggered by either using onchange, another type of tag controller, or automatically force a change? if so how? if not why? and most importantly thanks!!

Feck, I'm in the same position, LW. It's been so long since I worked without jQuery, I'm not sure what's going on here.

I suspect, though I could be wrong, that you might be running into cross browser difficulties.

Do you have the page online anywhere where we could take a look at it?

Oh, and Flex? Are you having a giraffe?

Edited by monkeysaurus