Found Way to Create Multi-column page, But can't upload it

fishcuisine

Hello fellow travelers,

I solved my dilemma of creating the fabulous multi-column webpage. Would you believe?

Thanks to the tutorials found in the Video Library – specifically as found in the Dreamweaver CS3 Section and the assistance of Administrator and others.

Now comes part II of the puzzle.

I have been trying numerous ways of having the revised 2 column page that I created for the page as shown on the top MENU – Chef Diploma Course – uploaded on to the site –

www.tokyo-sushi-chef-institute.com .

I replaced the original - chefDiplomaCourse.html with - 2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html - on the CODE SECTIONS of all the pages including the LIBRARY asset.

(I kept the wording 2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html because correcting the misspelling would have added untol misery.)

ec

I was able to log on to the HOME page OK. But then I got PAGE ERROR message when trying to log on to all the other pages.

Anyone know which buttons I mistakenly pressed…I wonder?

Regards

fish

Your new page does not show up, because your link is wrong - it looks like this:

<a href="Library/2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html%20">CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE</a> |

That takes you to a page that does not exist (in the 'Library' folder: http://www.tokyo-sus...lomaCourse.html - if you remove 'Library' out of the path, it takes you to your actual page. http://www.tokyo-sushi-chef-institute.com/2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html

However, your 3 column page has all kinds of coding mistakes, and your navigation bar is still screwed up:

sushi2.gif

I played with it in different ways. But still having problems navigating from OUR MISSION to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE.Both are the same page.

All the other links are working OK.

Needless to say, I am not fluent in html/css. I will have to go back and correct all the gramatical errors.

Many more videos to view.

Regards

Fish

They are both the same page 2Colum...Should they not both be pointing to the same page?

Apparently not - you said:

But still having problems navigating from OUR MISSION to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE.Both are the same page

They are the same page because the links you have for "Our Mission' and for "Chef Diploma Course' both point to the SAME page.

<a href="index.html">HOME</a> |

<a href="2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html">OUR MISSION</a> |

<a href="2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html">CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE</a> |

<a href="metropolisTokyo.html">METROPOLIS TOKYO</a> |

<a href="location.html">LOCATION</a> |

<a href="inquire.html"> INQUIRE </a>

There's a difference between the actual layout and the name of a page.

Also, you still have the very same alignment problem with your navigation that I keep pointing out - it makes your page look VERY BAD!

Maybe you cannot see it on your computer - but I can see it and so can many, many other people. Pretty much anyone who has a different resolution set than you do.

I am just surprised by what looks like a very large company with over 40 locations that would not hire a professional to get this done. Based on what you are trying to accomplish here is that this can be done using some kind of CMS with a nice template that is editable via the admin. Most will have a built in menu systems to where you only have to create a new CMS page, save it and presto! it shows up on your menu.

Edited by Eddie

Apparently not - you said:

They are the same page because the links you have for "Our Mission' and for "Chef Diploma Course' both point to the SAME page.

There's a difference between the actual layout and the name of a page.

Also, you still have the very same alignment problem with your navigation that I keep pointing out - it makes your page look VERY BAD!

Maybe you cannot see it on your computer - but I can see it and so can many, many other people. Pretty much anyone who has a different resolution set than you do.

Hello Andrea,

Needless to say we appreciate your feedback - good or bad.

This project is a learning experience for us.

We understand the growing strength of the Internet and knowing how it works is critical to our future success.

Having this farmed out to a third party or just buying a cheap $25 template that ends up looking like

a "Wal Mart" box is not in our best interest.

Thus we are willing to put up with any comments that come in.

The alignment problem is not a major issue for now. So far no one has a monitor that has picked up the problem.

It will be corrected as we become more familiar with html/css language.

Going back to the more immediate problem of 2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html pointing to OUR MISSION

I tried ourMission.html pointing to OUR MISSION but I get to an older page previously created.

As you will note all the other links work perfectly.

So the question is why do I get an error page when I try to go from OUR MISSION to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE. When I go to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE from anyother link on the Menu, they work perfectly...All the code sequence appear to be the same.

Having this farmed out to a third party or just buying a cheap $25 template that ends up looking like

Thus we are willing to put up with any comments that come in.

I'm kind of taking this personally - I don't design sites that look like '$25 templates' - my designs WORK, links lead to the proper pages, the layout doesn't break, the code is clean and validates.

Good luck figuring out your issues, and I'm looking forward to seeing your 'better-than-done-by-a-professional' final product.

So the question is why do I get an error page when I try to go from OUR MISSION to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE. When I go to CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE from anyother link on the Menu, they work perfectly...All the code sequence appear to be the same.

This is your code: <a href="2ColumChefDiplomaCourse.html%20">CHEF DIPLOMA COURSE</a> - that '%20' comes from a space. But even without it, you have 2 links leading to the same page.

I have been watching this post from afar, and felt I had to chip in. Andrea has been giving you a lot of good advice. All of it for your own benefit and free of charge. What you have produced is one huge mess.

This project is a learning experience for us.

Looking at the code it is obvious you have no idea what you are doing, and are not really listening to Andrea's advice. You will find that there is more to designing and implementing a site than just using Dreamweaver and hacking away at it. It's as if I decided I was going to be a professional chef, just by getting some professional knives. And while I am no stranger to the kitchen, you are definitely a complete stranger to web design.

We understand the growing strength of the Internet and knowing how it works is critical to our future success.

Well you are going about it the wrong way, hiring a professional seems like a better one, someone who understands the concepts of design and development. And with that messy code, what are you going to do about Search Engine Optimization?

Personally I also find this remark rather insulting considering the mess you have produced. You seem to be denigrating web designers and developers in general while expecting us to bail you out. I can only imagine the comments you would get if you posted your site on another css forum asking for feedback on the design and conception!

@seafoodcuisine:

Although some of the comments provided here are a bit bold and direct, it's nevertheless right on the mark. We do so in hopes that you will realize we have no desires to see anyone fail in their quest to produce a decent website. Your site is so simple in design that you shouldn't have all these problems if you had followed everyone's suggestions.

You don't have to hire a third party to get the results you are looking for. Just about everyone here can provide you a good source template examples that are free or little cost to you. Most CMS programs are free and quite good and stable. Creating and updating pages will be snap because it will use the same header/footer throughout. More importantly, menus will be quite simple to update in which you just make one edit and it updates the entire site. It also provides SEO plug-ins/modules plus many other tools you can add such as a comprehensive form, email forum, social media, google map, etc.

All of us here can do custom websites but there are cases when it makes sense to the clients to use CMS and good templates within a limited budget, providing ease of us and allow them to update it themeselves.

We are not here to hurt your feelings but instead we are here to tell it like it is. Many of us here had gone through the very same thing that you are going through now. The question is, what are you going to do to achieve that goal? I mean, you did say: "We understand the growing strength of the Internet and knowing how it works is critical to our future success.". If that's so then maybe you should adhere to those that are trying to help you.

That's my two-bits worth. :)

Hello There,

First let me say that I do appreciate all your comments - good or bad.

This is all a learning experience for me.

I finally accomplished what I originally set out to do the hard way. No easy way to get through Basic Training.

I have a basic website up and running. Now I've got to make it look pretty.

With regard to the codes, I know Code Nerds see a horrific conflagration in the back. I have no idea how DW came up with all that. I am slowly getting acclimated to the html/css language. Who knows before too long I may be able to create a website just by using the codes...

Take care,

Fishy

I have a basic website up and running.

Yup, you do - it's broken in all resolutions/browsers but whatever your monitor provides you, the links aren't working properly, the layout is a mess, the design is bare-bones and primitive. And I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, but because I'm hoping to wake you up: A bad, unprofessional website does NOT create the image of a professional company. You're better off not having a site at all, until you can present one that works, than throwing out some hodge-podge house-of-sticks and presenting a perfectly respectable, professional organization in a very sloppy, unprofessional way.

Of course, this may be just my own stuck--up opinion ---- or it may be how all kinds of YOUR customers feel when they see your "basic website'.

You pick.