layout in DW

newtothis

I have been following along with the video on using photoshop to create a website. I am trying to take what is being taught and apply it to my own design. problem is I'm still such a novice I am still trying to figure out div tags vs h1 etc

For example I have placed my logo at the top... underneath it I want my main nav bar to appear. In the style_css rule box that I created I called it #upper menu and then defined the font, color and size.

Is this the proper way to do this?

I cannot figure out how to put more spaces between the words.... so instead of it looking like this, with one space between each word such as

home cities blog subscribe I want it to look like:

home cities blog subscribe

I have tried to increase the word spacing in my css rule but no change. How can I do this?

My next step is to create another different side bar, which I would call #sidemenu and then follow the same steps is this okay?

Finally, the color and font type is not showing up when I preview in Safari..... can you think of why, here is my code thus far

<link href="style_css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="header"></div>

<div id="uppermenu"> home cities blog subscribe </div>

Thanks!

I have been following along with the video on using photoshop to create a website. I am trying to take what is being taught and apply it to my own design. problem is I'm still such a novice I am still trying to figure out div tags vs h1 etc

For example I have placed my logo at the top... underneath it I want my main nav bar to appear. In the style_css rule box that I created I called it #upper menu and then defined the font, color and size.

Is this the proper way to do this?

I cannot figure out how to put more spaces between the words.... so instead of it looking like this, with one space between each word such as

home cities blog subscribe I want it to look like:

home cities blog subscribe

I have tried to increase the word spacing in my css rule but no change. How can I do this?

My next step is to create another different side bar, which I would call #sidemenu and then follow the same steps is this okay?

Finally, the color and font type is not showing up when I preview in Safari..... can you think of why, here is my code thus far

<link href="style_css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="header"></div>

<div id="uppermenu"> home cities blog subscribe </div>

Thanks!

I am also new to this but i'm pretty sure you have to have a file extension of ".css" not "_css" for your css file. (style.css)

Additionally you might check out http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_word-spacing.asp for a good reference on "word spacing."

Adam is right - the file is whatever.css, not _css.

As to the spacing- you're not looking for word spacing in its general meaning - that would be increasing the spaces between words as the ones I'm writing at the moment. What you are looking for is a larger space between your menu items. For example, you'd want a larger space between 'Home', 'Cities', 'Blog', but not between 'Contact-Us' - right?

A navigation menu is in actuality a list and should be styled as such. The basic how-to is explained here http://www.csstutorial.net/2010/02/how-to-style-a-horizontal-navigation-menu-with-css/ - and you add more space between the individual menu items by adding margin and/or padding to the li via your stylesheet.

The link to your css file inside the head section of your html file needs to look like this:

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

and the file itself has to be named style.css -- that is, you can call it whatver you like, but it has to have the .css extension, and the name and the red above have to match.