Beg Wordpress Videos

thorbaldur

Is there a video that shows how to set up the localhost on MAMP/WordPress interface? It's glossed over, done off screen so to speak, in the intro WP videos I've seen? I keep trying, but haven't gotten Wordpress up and going using MAMP with the WPlocalhost. Safari keeps telling me it can't find localhost server even though I point to the Worpress Folder on my hard drive. I want to work exclusively on my computer with no server involved. Is that the problem? It's never really explained.

I have a video on setting up MAMP on my site (http://www.falkencreative.com/resources.php - under the "Personal Screencasts" section.) It doesn't cover setting up Wordpress, but additional steps for that are pretty straightforward:

-- download the Wordpress files, place within /Applications/MAMP/htdocs folder

-- go to PHPMyAdmin and set up a new database

-- with MAMP running, go to localhost and try to view the Wordpress files. The system should run a configuration script, allowing you to put in the database details and set up Wordpress properly

Thanks for the imput. I watched your vidcast. It sort of disappears when getting to where to put the wordpress folder. I've tried your suggestions and went back to the orig set up vidcast for a refresher. Safari still won't let me go to localhost and wp config. Some piece of info is missing from both vidcasts. Probably something simple. Since everyone seems to be using Firefox I'm hoping that's the problem. I use Sea Monkey mostly but Safari is default. I'll download it. Hopefully that is the problem.

I have a video on setting up MAMP on my site (http://www.falkencreative.com/resources.php - under the "Personal Screencasts" section.) It doesn't cover setting up Wordpress, but additional steps for that are pretty straightforward:

-- download the Wordpress files, place within /Applications/MAMP/htdocs folder

-- go to PHPMyAdmin and set up a new database

-- with MAMP running, go to localhost and try to view the Wordpress files. The system should run a configuration script, allowing you to put in the database details and set up Wordpress properly

It sort of disappears when getting to where to put the wordpress folder.

Those files need to be put within /Applications/MAMP/htdocs folder.

Once those files are in its place, open MAMP and make sure to start the servers (Apache/MySQL servers) if they don't start automatically once MAMP starts.

Within the MAMP app, click on the "Open Start Page" button, and that should take you to your localhost, where you will have access to the files within your htdocs folder, PHPMyAdmin, etc. You will need to set up a new database for Wordpress to use (see below) and then run the WP setup by opening up the Wordpress files within localhost.

I did realize the other day that KillerSites does have a video or two on using MAMP/setting up Wordpress. Take a look here: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3412-setting-up-wordpress-training-tutorial-part-1/. It deals with an older version of Wordpress, but it may help you get started.