Wordpress Clear Input Field

newseed

Hey All,

I am baffled as to why I am unable to get this onclick function to work so that it clears the default text value of an input field:

$form = '<form name="form1" role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="' . home_url( '/' ) . '" >
<div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">' . __('Search for:') . '</label>
<input type="text" value="Search for articles...' . get_search_query() . '" onclick="document.form1.s.value ='';" name="s" id="s" />

<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="'. esc_attr__('Search') .'" />
</div>
</form>';

The code I added is in red:

$form = '<form name="form1" role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="' . home_url( '/' ) . '" >

<div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">' . __('Search for:') . '</label>

<input type="text" value="Search for articles...' . get_search_query() . '" onclick="document.form1.s.value ='';" name="s" id="s" />

<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="'. esc_attr__('Search') .'" />

</div>

</form>';

I'm using Wordpress 3.01.

I just checked one of my client's sites where the search field clears on click and here's what I found in the source:

<form method="get" class="searchform" action="http://www.website.com/" >

<input type="text" value="Search this website" name="s" class="s" onfocus="if (this.value == 'Search this website') {this.value = '';}" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = 'Search this website';}" />

<input type="submit" class="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</form>

Hope this helps! It's a child theme for the Genesis framework, so the search widget is pre-built for me. I don't know why it works, just that it does. :)

Edited by Susie

I am using WP's default theme which uses WP's default search form and I guess hacking the general-template.php file breaks the site. I went ahead and applied your (Susie's) code as it's own widget and it worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Oh incase anyone was wondering how the clear form is working here's the url:

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/aquarium-blog/

Edited by newseed

A more elegant approach is to use defaultValue property. That way, if you change the value text, you don't need to go and update the onclick event script as well...

<form method="get" class="searchform" action="http://www.website.com/" >

<input type="text" value="Search this website" name="s" class="s" onfocus="if (this.value == this.defaultValue) {this.value = '';}" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = this.defaultValue;}" />

<input type="submit" class="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</form>