should i use a CMS

akurtula

Hi,

I am required to create a website for a start up company where they just want to tell the world about them and what they can offer. the website could be made up of 10-15 page (almost like a portfolio, without the work samples). I think that I should be using a content management system as it would make it easier for the client to edit the site (eventhough I believe that there wouldn't be any BIG changes)

I been using wordpress, to creat blogs and portfolio, and experimented with drupal a little bit, though I feel that these are not ment to be used for a site which could remain statick for ever,

so I would realy like to hear your oppinion on wherether I should use an CMS for this website and if there is a special CMS for this these sites which might not even need editing, or if I should be making my own CMS (even though all other posts recoment to not "re-invent the wheel")

thanks a lot

I would definitely use a CMS. WordPress sounds like it would be a good fit, too. I always develop client sites with a CMS because I don't have time to make little updates to their sites on an ongoing basis. I am available to help my clients with bigger changes, but I want them to be able to take care of text changes and removing/adding photos on their own.

thanks that is very useful, as when I searched on google the same question, I got different results, some saying "I can't believe someone would get payed just for setting up wordpress" - so I was confuced. And as this is the first project I really wanted to ask what people do in these situations

so thanks, I guest Im going to use wordpress :)

thats where I started not to take notice of those comments, as the costumme theme that we now agreed with the client, will be nothing like the normal blog theme which comes with the WP but also nothing that can be found as a free or payed for template (for better or worst) - and at the end of the day is not going to be a blog

and when I started with wordpress it took me a hell of a long time to really understand what was going on, a time which a client would not have the will to spend, so that is why I was surprised when I heard that comment of not worth getting payed -

also in long run it seems better for the client if I use a wordpress as it has been fully tested and would not brake after we launch it, where as if I created the CMS my self iI'm 100% sure it would have a lot of security issues and so on.