Does anyone have Cpanel experience

sarina28

My client is using Web Hosting Pad that uses Cpanel. I'm trying to compress some of my files. I'm able to compress them in a Gzip format, but when I analyze the site in Firebug, it says that my files are not compressed. Is there somewhere in Cpanel to see if compression is enabled? I've looked everywhere. Also, when compression files, it adds a .gz extension to the file. Is there more to it than that? Firebug recommended file compression for improving page loading speed. This is the first time doing this.

Thanks

Edited by sarina28

This might be helpful:

http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/how-check-gzip-compression-enable-8932/.

http://betterexplained.com/articles/how-to-optimize-your-site-with-gzip-compression/

If you are having trouble with this, I'd suggest that this is something you talk to your web host about. I'm sure their support has handled this sort of question before.

I tried the first link, and it check my site. It said it can't access because I don't have a .htaccess file. I checked the server, and I did not see one. I'm note sure how involved I should get into this. Is it worth the benefits? I'm only doing this because Firebug recommended it. I did gzip my files, but I'm new to this. There are tutorials on how to create .htaccess files. should I pursure this? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Adding a .htaccess file is easy -- it's just a plain text file that is called ".htaccess".

Personally, I'm not sure if you will see any significant speed difference, assuming you have a site with a limited traffic. I could see how it could be beneficial on large high traffic sites, but for the average site, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else here will be able to comment on this more.