beginner question: span class for text isn't working properly

rjd3

Hi everyone (1st non-introduction post). I worked hard to try to validate my code (quite new to this...1st website). I've gotten it where there are only a couple of errors (all flash content (embedded youtube video) related... and none on my homepage) according to W3C's free validating service. My issue is on my homepage, so I'm hoping the couple of errors on the "Sculpture" and "Video" pages aren't the issue. If they are the source of the problem, I apologize. Btw, I plan on fixing that soon. I used fancybox to organize videos on my homepage, and that seemed to not cause the problems that simply embedding them apparently does with my Strict Doctype (don't ask me why... I'm just a humble noob). So, as soon as I finish editing/uploading some more videos I'm working on, I guess I'll just deal with it that way. At least until I have the time to further investigate why embedding like I've been doing is causing problems.

SO, finally to my ACTUAL QUESTION. If any of you guys have the time, check out my homepage ww w.rjd 3.com . I need "Contact" to look the same as "Sample Work." Ideally, I would want "Contact", "Sample Work", and "Click to play" to all line up, and to have "click to play" float to the right. I've been told that having them line up on the y axis is dreaming the impossible dream (at least a 100% of the time, with this layout, due to the way different browsers display text). Thats fine. I don't want to spend the time to re-do everything. I just want to get this site finished, so I can move on to the next one. I'll probably scrap this one in a year anyway(aka once I know what I'm doing). But, I can't seem to get over the fact that I can't get the two mentioned phrases to at least look the same (weight, letter spacing, ect). I also thought it was weird that "Contact" changes from page to page. I realize that this is probably due to "Contact" inheriting a trait from somewhere. I've tried hard to find the culprit, but no dice. Anybody want to give me some insight?

Sidenote: I really wanted the edge of the thumbnails to line up with the edge of the main image. I realize there is probably a much more elegant way to handle that than an empty spacer div and padding-left to all the thumbs. I will also address that issue soon enough. Once again, sorry for not being able to completely validate all of my website/any incorrect assumptions I may have conjured up. I'll get the hang of this soon enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the

<li><br ></li>

from your navigation <li> is a list tag, not a spacing tool :-) instead, apply margins and padding to your .navlinks li until things fall in place.

I don't have time at the moment to dig deeper, but you're going way overboard with divisions. And either float your 'click' right, or add a left margin of approx. 500 px.